There are a number of unifying factors in this world we can point to which bring people from different ethnic, socioeconomic, and ideological backgrounds, race, interests, and professions together. Sport is a popular one. Another one is dance. The returned refugees in Bangui, the capital city of the Central African Republic (CAR), are fortunate to experience a combination of these two factors in the renowned form of martial art, Capoeira, in a quest to promote a culture of peace and unity in the city.
In Bangui, young boys and men have earnestly taken to capoeira as both a means of health and fitness, as well as a way to prove that although they are tragically surrounded by violence they can set an example of peaceful interactions, and stay above the unpleasant phenomenon threatening to decimate their homeland.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Since 2013, CAR’s economy has been characterized by violent conflicts brought on by the aftermath of a religious coup. As a result of the ongoing crisis, citizens of CAR have been inflicted with a troubling sense of trauma and division.
In the four years that the conflict in CAR has lasted, thousands have lost their lives, with hundreds of thousand more displaced by it. Due to the situation, CAR citizens fled to nearby Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in the hopes of securing a more tolerable existence for themselves. It is some of these refugees who fled the country earlier that have returned and brought back with them the art of capoeira, in addition to an attitude of peace and tolerance which they hope to spread throughout Bangui and the rest of the country.
Bangui is one of the most popular locations in CAR for refugees because of the previous presence of camps such as that which existed within the environs of the M’Poko airport. At M’Poko, refugees took shelter in abandoned airplanes in order to survive. While living as a refugee or a displaced person is not exactly anyone’s preferred life experience, living in the Bangui is even more challenging. Healthcare, means of livelihood, education, and other basic amenities are difficult to come by.
Jephte Kassai and his group of fellow instructors seek to use the teachings of capoeira garnered in DRC to heal their communities, improve tolerance, and restore normalcy for all. The UNHCR’s Association for Social Development and Protection for the Environment (ADSSE) introduced capoeira as they practice now to the Mole refugee camp in the DRC where, women, men, and children soon started taking classes. Shortly after this, capoeira achieved cultural status in the camp.
Upon returning to the Bangui camp with his newfound tool for unity, peace, and physical well-being, Kassai, who lost his grandfather and sisters to the conflict in his country, decided to use capoeira to preach the “gospel.”
“For us, it is all about peace. If you touch someone or disrespect your brother, you’ll be penalized. Because in capoeira, you don’t touch, you ask for forgiveness and tell your friend that you’re sorry.” It appears the students at the school in Bangui also feel the same way about practicing capoeira.
“Peace. Togetherness. Love. Respect for others. Self-control.” This is the guiding philosophy of the school which they chant during sessions. Possibly, in a country regrettably ridden with incessant violent conflict, these voices can find a way to let others know how something as regular as a sport can serve as a tool to bring a people, who seem so irreparably divided, together again.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.