A series of new audio experiences have been released with the aim of taking holidaymakers on journeys around the world. As we face an uncertain period of travel restrictions, can these Sonic Escapes really recreate the sensation of visiting different countries?
Travel experiences are often described as an assault on the senses – in the best possible way, of course. Now that our travel is restricted, we can still look at beautiful pictures of our dream destination – and even taste some of its food, with associated smells – from the comfort of our own home, but what about the sound of these places?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chinese firm Huawei has launched a series of travel recordings, with the aim of showcasing new technology which can help to fully immerse you in three iconic locations. The Sonic Escapes have been created to take your mind far away, even though you might actually be at home. The collection is delivered in 360° binaural soundscapes, which work best with headphones or earbuds.
“Now, more than ever we need a break, a break without cancelled flights and a break without quarantines and social distancing. A true escape from the world around us. Sonic Escapes allows listeners to travel through rich, immersive sounds, soaking up the culture of three exotic locations, whilst also experiencing Intelligent Dynamic Noise Cancellation technology.” said Anson Zhang, CEO of Huawei Technologies. The company has launched the series to coincide with their latest FreeBuds Pro release, although everyone can access the audio experiences on the official site.
Here’s our guide to the three destinations featured in the Sonic Escapes series, as well as our top suggestions for places to stay in each city. Once you’ve been taken to the frantic streets of Jamaica’s capital and the bustling souks of Marrakech virtually, we’re sure you’ll want to visit them in person (when it’s safe to do so). You might even fancy the relaxing on the stunning beaches of Mexico when it’s all over.
The souks (traditional markets) of Morocco are famous around the world. They are full of the energy and intensity you expect from a trip to one of the most popular tourist destinations in North Africa. The ancient city is built around Arabic and Andalusian influences, giving it a distinctive look when compared to other large cities in the country. The bustling nature of the centre is one that requires you to keep your wits about you, but once you gain some confidence, it’s time to hit the night markets. The Islamic call to prayer can often be heard in Marrakech and has become part of the daily routine for visitors and locals alike.
Places to stay
A “palais-riad” is a traditional private palace with an interior garden. Many homes in Morocco try to emulate this design, but few do it as well as this boutique hotel. The Palais Lamrani does a wonderful job of capturing the Arabic and Andalusian influences we mentioned earlier.
Dar Zaman is an intimate location that lives up to its name. There are only four rooms available, so you’ll get a private experience that showcases the best the city has to offer. Make sure you check out the experiences and activities on offer at the hotel to fully embrace the Moroccan way of life.
The heady combination of utter relaxation and frenetic action are well expressed in Kingston’s soundscape. The Jamaican capital is famous for its port, which has seen the likes of Christopher Columbus and James Bond make land in the past. The latter might just be a fictional character, but 007 author Ian Fleming wrote many of his most popular books here while staying at his Goldeneye manor. Montego Bay is the lively hub of the city, where you can sample some of the best food and drink on the island. It’s also where you’ll be able to hear the unmistakable sound of reggae in the air everywhere you go.
Places to stay
Conveniently located in the centre of Kingston, this modern hotel is perfect for anyone looking for a stress-free stay in Jamaica. As many people travel to the city on business, there are a number of meeting rooms and useful additions that make this ideal for working holidays.
This is our wildcard pick for Jamaica, but one we think you’ll enjoy exploring. Set in the Blue Mountains, this authentic, family-run business is ideal for anyone looking to experience the side of the country often overlooked by tour guides. The kitchen also serves up homemade delicacies to order, so you can get a real taste of Jamaica from your own room.
If you’re after more of the Old World glamour popularised in films and books set in Jamaica, then book a stay at Terra Nova. Unashamedly proud of its heritage, the hotel is a glorious part of Kingston with spectacular views of the city.
On the southeastern tip of Mexico, jutting firmly into the Caribbean, you’ll find the state of Yucatán. The state is the safest place to visit in the country, and as such has surged in popularity with visitors in recent years. Many people will head straight to the capital Mérida, which makes for an excellent base combining the comfort and convenience of a major city with easy access to the coast, which is only a few miles away. If you’re looking for adventure, this is the place to go, as some of the best beaches are surrounded by dense jungles making them secluded strips of paradise.
Places to stay
Punta Caliza is rated one of the most romantic hotels in Mexico for good reason. The coastal retreat is a great getaway for those looking to work while away from home, so it’s a perfect spot to check out while the reality of a commute to the office is still on hold.
This project aims to combine local culture with sustainability, making both as accessible as possible. Beach life is a big part of any stay here, but doesn’t come at the expense of luxury or comfort. The Papaya Playa Project is in Tulum, a fair distance from the capital of the Yucatán state, but its utter uniqueness earned itself a place on our list.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.