Due to a devastating earthquake in 1960, Agadir doesn’t have the same historic sites as many other places around Morocco. The original medina was ruined, along with the old souks and marketplaces. The small remains of the old kasbah can be seen on top of the hill overlooking the city. Primarily a beach and surfing destination, history-lovers will probably be sorely disappointed in Agadir. After reconstructions and replications, however, here are the best souks and medinas to visit in Agadir today.
La Medina d’Agadir
La Medina d’Agadir was the brainchild of a Moroccan-Italian called Coco Polizzi. Located a short distance outside of the heart of Agador, the sprawling site was completed in the late 2000s. The goal was to recreate the ancient medina that perished in the earthquake. The result is a beautiful complex that utilised the skills of many master artisans from around the country.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Constructed using locally sourced materials, the stone and earthen buildings are striking, the narrow alleyways enchanting, and the market places tempting. Craftspeople demonstrate their skills in workshops throughout the medina, including henna tattoo artists, stonemasons, wood carvers, metalworkers, artists, and jewellery makers. The olde-worlde streets also contain a number of restaurants, cafes, and stores.
Souk el Had
Agadir’s only authentic souk, Souk el Had is where locals go to shop and where tourists go to experience a little of local life. Although not as atmospheric as the souks of Fez, Tangier, Marrakech, and other old cities, it’s one of the best places around Agadir to pick up traditional Moroccan goods and see how local residents go about their daily affairs.
Various gates lead into the large souk, and it’s easy to get lost if you don’t pay attention. A vast variety of goods are sold on the stalls and in the stores. Browse fresh produce in the fruit and vegetable section, and inhale the heady aromas in the spice area. It’s often possible to get a good deal on saffron. Strike a deal on locally produced argan oil products and purchase diverse trinkets and souvenirs. Other goods include clothing, footwear, accessories, toys, household furnishings, jewellery, carpets, and more.
Souk Lakhmiss is a fairly small souk outside of the city centre, past the airport, and on the way towards Crocoparc. It mainly caters to the shopping needs of people from the surrounding neighbourhoods of Hay Zaytoune and Assaka. Prices are often slightly lower than in Souk el Had. In addition to foodstuffs, vendors sell household items, toiletries, clothing, and other day-to-day items. There are several eateries around the souk where visitors can enjoy a traditional meal at a reasonable cost.
Agadir Souk Success
A traditional souk in name only, Agadir Souk Success is, nonetheless, a good place for dedicated shoppers to take a peek. More of a shopping mall than a marketplace, the building is home to a number of artisans, craftspeople, and artists, all eager to show off their goods and make a sale. Items include leather shoes, pottery, spices, jewellery, clothes, and snacks.
Marché Charaf, located in the older part of the city and away from the large beach resorts, sells mainly food items and caters primarily to locals. Bakers sell assorted Moroccan breads and pastries, butchers have various cuts of meat hanging from their stalls, and fruits and vegetables are available in almost every colour imaginable.
While Agadir has plentiful shopping, mainly in modern shopping centres and stores, those seeking more of a traditional souk and medina experience may wish to take a day trip to somewhere like nearby Taroudant, or even Marrakech.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.