Morocco’s magical Marrakech has many interesting museums that allow visitors to delve deeper into the city’s past, culture, and traditions. September 2017 will see a new museum opening its doors in the Red City: The National Carpet Museum.
Carpet industry and heritage in Morocco
Traditional Moroccan rugs are woven by hand. Designs and techniques are usually passed down through the generations, with artisans generally having no formal training. Carpets have been produced in the kingdom for many hundreds of years, used as bedding, seating, clothing, and saddle covers for camels and donkeys. Rugs are typically made for practical purposes as opposed to any aesthetic value.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Thick rugs are most common in the highs of the Atlas Mountains, where temperatures can be bitingly cold in the winter, and thinner carpets are more prevalent in the Saharan regions. Moroccan homes typically have tiled floors, with several rugs spread throughout; wall-to-wall carpeting is not common. Rugs can also be found inside tents, offering protection and comfort.
There is high demand for locally produced carpets, both from locals and from tourists. Handmade Moroccan carpets are exported for overseas sale too.
Reopening of a former museum
The carpet museum will be housed within a former museum, previously known as the Museum of Moroccan Arts. The building has been closed for a period while undergoing changes and renovations, as well as a name change.
Regeneration of the museum is part of a wider project that was set up by King Mohammed VI in 2014. A number of sites with significant heritage are part of the scheme, which is known as the “Marrakech, city of permanent renewal” project.
Museum housed within a historic building
The building was completed in the 19th century, constructed as a grand palace for a wealthy local. The opulent former home is called Dar Si Said. It is a great example of a traditional Moroccan home from the past. Featuring splendid zellige tile work, ornate carved wood, and delicate plasterwork, visitors can explore the inner courtyard, complete with an ornamental fountain, balconied boudoirs, the former harem area, and various other chambers and rooms.
New collections in Dar Si Said
The forthcoming National Carpet Museum in Marrakech will contain striking carpets and rugs from all around Morocco. Visitors will be able to admire and appreciate the skill that goes into creating the simultaneously beautiful and practical items. Regional designs and variations can be observed throughout the collection, with both traditional Arab and Berber carpets on display. Many major cities and towns in Morocco have distinct styles when it comes to carpets and rugs, with Fez especially noted for its high-class products.
The National Museum of Carpets at Dar Si Said, set to open at the end of September 2017, will provide the perfect place for people to learn more about the country’s carpet-making industry and see a dazzling array of exhibits. With around 400 rugs and carpets on display, there will be a lot to feast the eyes on.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.