Feted for its bustling souks and invigorating hammams, Marrakech is one of Morocco’s most popular destinations, attracting travellers from all over the world. What many visitors don’t realise, however, is that it has a commitment to sustainable tourism that is almost as impressive as its sights. Culture Trip reports.
Weaving a way forward for women
Marrakech has long been celebrated for its inimitable sense of style and its artistry. Sustainability consultant Rosanna Falconer believes the city’s efforts in sustainable tourism are “as magic as its famed technicolour bohemian roots” and points tourists to cooperatives such as Al Nour, a business with a drive for social justice.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Al Nour is a social business that works with local women with disabilities to provide employment and educational opportunities. In addition to purchasing handwoven gifts, visitors can take part in lessons to try their hand at weaving their own products. “People get really passionate about Al Nour,” says founder Patricia Kahane. “Entrepreneurs have been coming from Heidelberg, Germany, every year since 2007 to stay connected and provide support.” Designers are also known to drop by, to purchase items to sell in their own urban pop-ups.
Women haven’t always enjoyed economic opportunities in Marrakech, but at Amal, a non-profit venture not far from the Yves Saint Laurent museum, local women from disadvantaged backgrounds are trained in culinary skills. Open for lunch, the café boasts some of the best local flavours in the city and offers cookery classes every morning as well as baking classes in the afternoon. If the pastries don’t fill you up, Al Fassia, a superb restaurant established by an all-female team, is reputed to serve the best tagine in Marrakech.
Outside the city walls
Another way to experience local life is with a visit to a rural community. Do your research to see how these trips are organised before you book, and use small-scale organisations that will give the profit back to the communities.
Just a 30-minute drive to Tnine Ourika, in Al Haouz province, Cooperative Aboghlo is an example of a cooperative working towards gender equality, with more than 30 women producing goods that are sold to beauty corporations such as Yves Saint Laurent. It’s also supported by the High Atlas Foundation.
Elsewhere in Al Haouz and other locations close to Marrakech, discerning shoppers can source merchandise direct from artisans through the digital platform Anou. You need to make an appointment online, then sit down with artisans over mint tea – there are no middlemen to tread on their toes.
A lighter footprint
You can do your bit by visiting most places in Marrakech on foot. Alternatively, check out Pikala, which employs locals as professional bicycle tour guides. To cool off after a ride, seek out cafés that source quality local ingredients, such as the colourful Nomad with its stunning terrace, or Café Clock, which has revived traditional hikayat storytelling.
Also, you need to consider where to stay. Around 30 hotels, hostels and riads have been awarded the prestigious Green Key, an international symbol denoting environmental responsibility. These properties use less water and energy, helping to protect Marrakech’s environment and reduce its footprint.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.