Morocco – home to sweeping deserts and historic sites such as the Medina of Marrakech – is not often associated with skiing. Although the country is not famous for snowsports, you wouldn’t be entirely wrong to connect the two. Surprisingly, there has been a long practice of skiing in the country’s High Atlas Mountain region; home to Africa’s highest ski resort.
As one of Africa’s most northerly ski resorts, Oukaïmeden’s location in the High Atlas Mountains has been a fascinating skiing location for decades. The resort is located about 49 miles (78km) south of Marrakech and is the highest ski resort in Africa. Standing at over 3,000 metres (over 9,500 feet) and offering up to 10km of skiable slopes, visitors are a mix of both tourists and local skiers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The ski season here can last from late December through to March. However, the high elevation provides ideal conditions during January and February, as they tend to bring snowy weather with perfect ‘spring-like’ skiing conditions. Not bad, once you remember that you’re actually in subtropical Africa.
How to get there
Oukaïmeden has limited transport links, so to visit it’s best to travel by car, which will take you less than two hours. With the resort being small enough to explore in one day, you can ski until the lifts stop running at 3pm, and be back in Marrakech just in time for dinner. If you are not planning on driving yourself, a shared taxi is the most affordable option – fares from Marrakech are approximately between €50-70 (£44-62) each way. However, prices are highly dependable on the drivers you talk to and your own negotiating skills.
What are the slopes like?
There are seven lifts in Oukaïmeden that run for all abilities, including six drag-lifts that service the beginner’s nursery slope and the intermediate-level slopes; and a slow single chairlift to the more advanced slope. The intermediate slopes are much more attractive and have fairly tamed conditions, but the difficulty of each run varies a lot depending on the hill. At the bottom of the lifts, you will find a well-kept nursery slope that provides a better environment for beginner’s-level skiing, together with a large family sledding area.
The resort offers a small selection of runs, with the longest being just over 2 miles (3km), and the runs from the top of the chairlift being the most challenging. This is where the snow can feel like hard off-piste ice in some sections as you descend. These runs are not particularly easy and are best suited to high-intermediate to advanced-level skiers.
How does it compare?
There is a clear contrast to Western ski resorts. Oukaïmeden is smaller, the lifts are dated and the pistes are not as well groomed, which can make for a very bumpy ride at times and can feel like you’re actually on hard off-piste snow. Some runs can be challenging due to the lack of piste signposts as boundaries are not very clearly defined. Additionally, due to its location, Oukaïmeden is completely dependent on its natural environment, and conditions can change drastically from icy hard to soft and slushy snow, or any variation of these.
However, Oukaïmeden is still worth exploring as skiing here can be very rewarding due to its own eccentric characteristics that make it a noteworthy destination. Affordable and less cramped than many European skiing destinations, you’ll also get to enjoy breathtaking views of the region, especially on a clear day. For a unique experience, ride on a donkey to travel between slopes instead of taking a shuttle bus or ski lift.
How much does it cost?
On-site hire shops are available for those who are not bringing their own gear, offering old-fashioned ‘retro’ equipment at an affordable price. However, some locals also offer ‘unofficial’ hire services for a much cheaper price. Whichever option you decide to go with, make sure you take your time and search out the good equipment before hitting the snow.
There is a surreal element to putting on your ski gear in Morocco. Oukaïmeden is a great option for more free-spirited skiers in search of a new adventurous destination. It is not as expensive as other ski resorts (Morocco’s off-peak season is actually wintertime) and the overall cost of skiing is more affordable. Besides, how often can you say you’ve skied in North Africa?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.