Morocco’s territory spans from the tip of the northwest Africa to the Sahara, which means it is full of oases, mountains, palm trees, rivers, seas, oceans and much more. Although the more popular locations in the country are Marrakech, Casablanca and Tangier, the most unbelievable and stunning views can only be found after hiking for hours, in tiny villages nestled between the mountains that even most Moroccans don’t even know of. Here are six epic views you have to hike to get to!
Imlil is a small village in the Atlas Mountains, located 1800 metres above sea level. The easiest way to reach this place from the nearest city, Marrakech, is to take a big taxi and then start hiking until you get to the actual village. Along the way, you will notice everything changing – the dust in the air vanishes, greenery appears and the temperatures drop. The view is, indeed, worth it and resembles Macchu Picchu a bit. Many people stay here on their way to Toubkal, the highest peak in North Africa.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This Berber town, also located in the Atlas Mountains, is 2100 metres above sea level, in the valley of Assif Melloul. It is the perfect place to enjoy exceptional views and know more about Berber culture. Every year, there is a festival in Imilchil, where fathers show off their daughters and find husbands for them. The new couples then get married at the festival, with lots of music, dancing and food. According to legend, two people from different tribes fell in love but weren’t allowed to be together, so they cried themselves to death, creating the two lakes in the area (Isli and Tilsit). Their families established an anniversary of their death and that’s how the festival first began.
This oasis is a hidden treasure between the mountains of Morocco. Located 250 kilometres from Agadir, Tafraoute is the perfect place to spend a relaxed vacation while taking in some of the best views in the kingdom. With backdrops of incredibly shaped rock formations, medieval houses, and endless nature, the hike to this small village will absolutely be worth the effort. Although hiking in this area is not recommended for beginners, you can take a big taxi for some of the way and then walk up the small valleys to enjoy the stunning landscapes.
The Ourika Valley is located 50 kilometres south of Marrakech. It is one of the most popular day trips from the Red City to discover Berber villages and hike up the High Atlas Mountains. You can go through the Ourika River until you reach the village of Setti Fatma (don’t forget to enjoy the numerous waterfalls surrounding the area). There are many guides available to help you hike through the valley and show you around the village.
Ouirgane is a small village near Marrakech in the High Atlas Mountains. The Nfis River flows through the valley and the village lies on the eastern bank of the reservoir, completely surrounded by olive groves. Ouirgane has its own little souk, popular for its rare and beautiful Berber pottery, kasbah ruins, the Tin Mal mosque, numerous salt mines, and hotels with horse riding facilities. It is not extremely difficult to reach this village and the views are splendid.
Located near Ourazazate, this incredible oasis has a backdrop of red rocks and lovely greenery on the edges of a beautiful river. On the other side of the river, you can explore the ruins of an abandoned kasbah or have a picnic on a narrow canyon. You can even catch some fish, which are plentiful in the river, or just relax and take in the beauty of this authentic Moroccan village.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.