Moroccan mint tea is a quintessential part of local dining customs. A sign of hospitality as well as a popular sweet drink, there’s no time that isn’t a good time for a pot of mint tea in Morocco.
Available in restaurants, cafés, carpet shops, riads, bars, and other places, and prepared daily in homes all around the country, dedicated teahouses in Morocco aren’t actually as common as you may expect. Coffee shops are omnipresent, but teahouses are a different story. Instead, tea is served almost anywhere that sells food and drinks. Nevertheless, here are some of the best places for a refreshing glass of mint tea and other tasty varieties when exploring the Red City of Marrakech.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of few dedicated tea rooms in Marrakech, Tchaba Tea House is part of a global network of tea houses. The business was established in the United Arab Emirates with the goal of taking high-quality international teas to nations that are known for an existing love of the leaf-based drink. The interiors are beautifully designed and the tea is well presented. Along with their pot and dainty teacups or glasses, customers will receive a sand timer to show exactly when their tea of choice is ready to drink. Offering more than 50 types of tea from all around the planet, including pure teas and blends with fine herbs, spices, and fruits, this is a top spot for any tea connoisseur.
Tucked away down one of the medina’s myriad alleyways, and nestled within a traditional riad, Tea Room Riad Yima is a relaxing and soothing tearoom. Forget the hustle and bustle outside as you sink into one of the soft seats and admire the interesting surroundings. A cool and trendy art gallery and boutique as well as a tearoom, it is owned by local artist Hassan Hajjaj, known for his bold and eye-catching pop art.
Although more of a restaurant (serving French gastronomy and traditional Moroccan cuisine), Café Arabe is still one of the most enchanting places in the Red City to savour a pot of mint tea. Stunningly decorated to showcase the finest Arab and Moroccan designs, there are sultry colours, bold patterns, and plenty of intricate details. The intimate Berber Lounge is beautiful. There’s another lounge with a fireplace, an open-sided terrace, and the main inner courtyard. Accompany your tea with a plate of Moroccan pastries for a sumptuous treat.
A cosy and tranquil restaurant and tearoom in the heart of lively Marrakech, A. Montana occupies a charming Arab-Andalusian home. Vibrant colours await visitors and orange trees grow in the interior garden. While the establishment serves delicious food and pastries as well, visitors are welcome to relax over a glass of tea in the beautiful surroundings.
Add more to your Moroccan tea-drinking experience with a visit to the Henna Café. A charitable enterprise, it offers local women a place to improve a variety of skills and take part in cultural exchanges. Enjoy a chat over your tea. The Henna Café is also, as the name implies, a place where people can get beautiful henna designs to decorate their skin. Of course, you don’t need to have a henna tattoo when you visit, but it would be another terrific local experience to tick off your bucket list. Tasty vegan fare is served too.
Situated close to Marrakech’s iconic Djemaa el Fna, Café Guerrab provides terrific views over the square and the medina. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served, though patrons are free to pop in for a tea, coffee, or other beverage. Both indoor and outdoor seating are available; don’t worry about missing out on the views by sitting inside, as there are large windows. The views make this a top place for a relaxing pot of tea while absorbing Marrakech’s energy from a distance.
A funky and friendly café in the heart of Marrakech’s old medina, Terrasse des Epices was established as a place to provide respite from the bustling life outside. The multi-level café has an open-fronted area on the ground floor with pavement seating, perfect for watching the world go by. Upper indoor levels are artfully designed with comfortable salon-style seating. The roof terrace is perhaps the most popular area, providing great views of the hive of activity in the surrounding souk. A basic meal menu is available and the café is especially known for its delectable desserts. Of course, you can also enjoy a pot of Moroccan tea on its own too.
La Salon Berbere is a beautiful tearoom in the luxurious Mandarin Oriental Marrakech. Guests can enjoy elegant surroundings and an air of refinement as they sip on various teas from around the world. The tearoom also doubles as a decadent champagne bar too. The inside boasts splendid Arab-Andalusian designs with traditional Berber touches, and the views over the resort’s pools are sublime.
For an authentic Moroccan tea experience surrounded by locals and plenty of action, head to the famous Djemaa el Fna in the evening. While there’s no official name, and the tea is sold from a stall with basic seating, you’ll have no difficulties locating the spiced tea seller as you walk through the food and drinks stands. Large vats of spiced tea stand waiting to be poured and, if you’re feeling brave, you can try an array of local delicacies floating in a spicy tea broth.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.