Bringing a piece of paradise back home is what you’ll obviously be busy with upon leaving Mauritius. The island is a real goldmine, with an established tradition of sharing and gifting. To get your way around scams and rip-offs and to ensure you take home the authentic feel of the place, here are ten of the most representative Mauritius souvenirs to add to your luggage.
No surprises here, with Mauritius once heralded as one of the largest exporters of sugarcane-derived products. We draw your attention to the fact, however, that all that glitters is not gold. While rhum arrangé (infused rum) is a thing in Mauritius, we recommend the finest – oscillating between Pink Pigeon Rum (vanilla-infused) or Chamarel Rum (several flavours). Each of them is yours for around US $25 and they are best enjoyed on their own – no Cubans necessary.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mauritius has its homegrown version of the most consumed beverage in the world, and that since 1892. You can have your share of it at the Bois Chéri tea factory, the largest facility on the island. A wide array of blends is on offer and, in some cases, tasting is permitted prior to purchase. A US $10 budget should be more than enough to add an exotic touch to your tea-time back home.
One of the most famous birds in the world was native to Mauritius. Although you can’t get your hands on the real thing anymore (yes, the dodo has been long extinct) we highly recommend anything dodo-emblazoned. It ranges from t-shirts, caps and bags to key rings and the famous flip-flops. You’ll definitely stand out from the crowd in your hometown.
If you had to choose one traditional musical instrument before leaving, this would be it! Don’t be fooled by its simple looks (it’s basically goat skin stretched over a circle of softwood). The very moment your fingers touch the surface of the ravanne, your heart will start pounding with rhythm and you’ll master the instrument within minutes. Prices vary by size, but spare around US $25 for a decent one.
The traditional shopping basket of Mauritius is made from dried leaves of vacoas (common screwpine). Making itself very rare at some point, it is now back in the limelight with the recent ban on plastic bags. They exist in all sizes and colours and come with handles. An interesting aspect of it is the fresh, tropical scent it diffuses every time it’s used. Bids start at US $8 and bargaining is more than welcomed!
The island is home to several award-winning special sugars. The fruition of a distinctive alchemy, they are now very much sought after in haute cuisine and for high tea in leading capitals. Count on them to add that je ne sais quoi to your Christmas pudding or biscuits.
So as to remember the hundreds of shipwrecks in the Mauritian waters, several artisans have been lovingly reproducing many of those ships. Timelessly sealed in a clear bottle, this souvenir will definitely bring back memories upon catching your eye.
Straight from the famous dunes of Chamarel, your test tube-sized sample of coloured earth makes for a great souvenir. Due to a discrepancy in the density of each colour, it will find a way to its original stratification after a little shake. Make sure you get yours from the Chamarel boutique to avoid any disappointment.
Traditional sega compilation
While most of the local Mauritian songs are available online, the best sega (traditional local music) can only be found in music shops. Head down to one of them and ask for the vintage copies. They come in very elaborate CD casings, with a history of the band, along with great pictures. Pop them into your CD player on your way to work for that ray of sunshine!
No one can leave the country without a crate of Phoenix beer in their luggage. In the same vein that Coca-Cola is associated with Christmas, Phoenix beer is the symbol of independence in Mauritius. Bagging several international awards since 1963, it could potentially question your hit-parade of beers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.