For the utmost fun when traveling, you have to plan to visit places that suit your personality. This is because your personality determines the kind of travel experiences and memories you will create. If Kenya is on your bucket list you are in luck, as you will be spoiled for choice of where to go regardless of what your personality is. Here is a breakdown that will help you plan your trip based on who you are and what tickles your fancy.
For foodie travelers: Mombasa
The Kenyan coast is a great place to sample the best food Kenya has to offer. Everything from fresh seafood and fish catches are available daily, as is the normal Kenyan fare of pilau, meat, and vegetable stews and spiced-filled baked goods. It is the home of the best chapatis and delicacies like mahamri and kaimati, as well as the refreshing madafu. The food has very varied influences from Arabic to Italian and Asian because of the cosmopolitan nature of the city. The culinary prowess of street food vendors will have you eating their food more often than in the hotel or restaurants. You will also get to sample spiced coffee.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For nature lovers: Maasai Mara
The Maasai Mara is a magnificent game reserve teeming with all manner of wildlife. The reserve is the epitome of the African Savannah, with acacia trees and dry grasslands that camouflages predators and prey, supporting the circle of life. The famous wildebeest migration is a sight to behold as the millions of gnus and thousands of zebras and gazelles cross the Mara River into the Serengeti in Tanzania. The crossing is a feast for the crocodiles in the Mara as well as lions, leopards, and other predators.
The Tsavo national park is Kenya’s largest park and is home to the Lugard falls, which has crocodiles in the pools below it, the Galana river, and the huge lava plateau, the Yatta. The park is divided into Tsavo East and West, with the western part having more dense vegetation because of natural springs.
For beach lovers: Malindi and Mombasa
Malindi and Mombasa have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Malindi provides the Watamu Marine National park, where you will find preserved beautiful coral reef teeming with tropical fish and protected turtles, while the South coast of Mombasa offers undisturbed, pristine white beaches great for a relaxing holiday of sunbathing. The coral reef along the Mombasa coastline is 480 kilometers long and is a great place for snorkeling and deep sea diving.
Malindi is a blend of the rich coastal history and the modern tourist influx, both of which marry into each other seamlessly. The history of the coast is deeply etched in Mombasa’s 16th Fort Jesus and in Malindi’s Jami mosque, St. Francis Xavier, one of the oldest churches in East Africa, and the 14th-century pillar tombs.
For mountain climbers and campers: Naivasha
The Hell’s Gate National Park allows visitors to camp and climb two extinct volcanoes. Climbers can explore the park on foot or by bicycle. The park is also home to obsidian caves and the volcanic plug known as Fischer’s tower. The first geothermal station in Africa, the Olkaria Geothermal station is found within the park, providing it with power from pressurized water underground. Additional geothermal features like geysers hissing steam and hot springs pepper the park. You will also encounter leopards, elands, gazelles, ostriches, eagles, and vultures. Interestingly, the environment created for the 1994 animated film Lion King was fashioned around Hell’s Gate National Park.
For party animals: Nairobi
Nairobi is party central every day of the week. Nightclubs are open and full of patrons regardless of the day. The city has a vibrant nightlife because of the diversity of cultures that merge and mix together. If you are looking for standup comedy, go to the Carnivore restaurant every Thursday for a roasting session with local comedian extraordinary “Churchill” and his merry mix of comedic acts. Ladies nights, members days, and everything in between are honored in various clubs and hotels all around the city on a weekly basis. You will find something to party for in Nairobi.
For art and culture lovers: Nairobi
Nairobi is also the spot to enjoy some of Kenya’s and East Africa’s exceptional art. The city is dotted by renowned art galleries and features lots of free concerts and theater at the Alliance Francais and the Goethe Institute. If you are lucky, you can catch cultural festivals, like the Safaricom International Jazz Festival, Story Moja Festival, or the Africa Nouveau Festival, among many others.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.