Plans to build a 14-acre interdenominational cathedral in central Accra are underway. But in a country where there are many churches, some locals aren’t happy – here’s why.
This interdenominational, 14-acre ‘super cathedral’ has been given a provisional go-ahead by President Nana Akufo-Addo. But his decision has split opinion between those who are in favour and those against the plans. Some question whether Ghana needs another church. Others say that the involvement of well-known architect David Adjaye, is helping to establish the country as an African superpower. Many have been outspoken about the fact that money for the building should be allocated towards more pressing social development projects.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The venue is for religious and community interests, including state-sponsored inaugurations and national celebrations. The building, situated near the Osu Cemetery in central Accra, could stand easily to be one of the most impressive in the country. It will also house a series of chapels, a baptistery, a 5,000-seat auditorium, music school, art gallery, shop, and a Bible museum.
Critics on social media have not held back their antipathy, pointing out the blatant use of tax payers’ money in a country already known for its abundant number of churches. The outcry is plain and direct- why are such resources not being spent on education, health, research and infrastructure instead?
Critics of Ghana’s National Cathedral compare it to #Rwanda’s children’s cancer treatment centre also designed by David Adjaye https://t.co/8HdXMZmNmH which gives value for money? A church or cancer treatment centre?
— Akwasi Sarpong (@akwasisarpong) March 12, 2018
Inspiration for the cathedral
Adjaye Associates revealed that the building is inspired by the concepts of unity, harmony, and spirituality. Dr. Okeke-Agulu, a professor of art history at Princeton told NY Times that the plans show Ghana is heading in the right direction. The cathedral will be situated 147 km (91 miles) from the late President Atta Mills’ memorial and research library in Cape Coast, inaugurated in July 2016 and now scourged with decay, causing even more controversy.
This is even shocking!
Late Professor Evan Atta Mills Library shut down due to lack of funds yet we are commissioning a National Cathedral designed by David Adjaye.
— Mac-Jordan 🇨🇦🇬🇭 (@MacJordaN) March 13, 2018
In a broadcast to the nation on December 24, 1957, Ghana’s first President Dr. Kwame Nkrumah stated that; “we shall measure our progress by the improvement in the health of our people; by the number of children in school, and by the quality of their education; by the availability of water and electricity in our towns and villages, and by the happiness which our people take in being able to manage their own affairs.” Have we detracted from our path to ensuring sustainability?
A National Cathedral could be the answer to all of Ghana’s problems.
Let’s all gather there when it’s done, pray fervently to God and ask for a miracle to save this country.
And Poof!! Just like that, Ghana could turn into WAKANDA 🙅🏾♀️
— Miss Forson (@lydiaforson) March 12, 2018
Sir David Adjaye
David Adjaye is known for his opulent and grand contemporary architectural designs that fuse traditional expressions of style and symbolism with modern functionality. The cathedral is one of the first major projects in Africa by the Ghanaian-British architect, who was knighted last year. With a reputation for stunning architecture and design, he is known for the creation of the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, DC. He will be working on three other massive projects in Ghana including, the 47-acre Princes Town Resort in Takoradi, the Elmina College and Petronia City.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.