In the wake of local renown and the international appeal of Ghana’s fashion scene, Accra Fashion Week is stepping up its game to meet demand and impress the world of style and contemporary taste. Here’s everything you need to know.
Globally speaking, Ghanaian fashion figures include the likes of Edward Enninful, Adwoa Aboah, Ozwald Boateng, the Casely-Hayford family, Kofi Ansah and Kanye West collaborator Virgil Abloh, who is the new artistic director for the menswear division of Louis Vuitton as contracted by LVMH Moët Hennessy. Also of interest at the fashion newsstand, Teen Vogue recently identified the “vibrant cultural force” that the fashion industry is yet to fully recognize when they covered Afrochella, while in and out of Ghana, award-winning fashion blogger Afua Rida’s influence is being felt.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The aim of Accra Fashion Week
Accra Fashion Week is organized by popular fashion media and management outlet FashionGHANA which has links to over 1,500 boutiques across Africa and over 90 distribution chains both in and out of the continent. The goal is to bring together collections and brands from across the continent and diaspora and facilitate educative workshops and media promotion.
Designers at the event
The 2018 designer roll call at Accra Fashion Week lists Les Reines des Pearls from France; Senegal’s Outrage by Jida Blade; Katiti from the Seychelles; Tobams Colors and Mark Johnson from the UK; Sara the Dressmaker, Balkyz, Pearl Amoah, Mish Mega, Bri Wiredu, Akinko, Nallem Clothing, Figs Fashion, Gavachy, Iva Michael, Marhaw Fashion and Afre Anko from Ghana; Fatumah Asha from Uganda; FD Fashion house and House of Lil from Nigeria; Tidal Cool from the US; Romeo Paul from Qatar; and Thabied from Botswana, as well as Metys from Diana Gadie and Nackissa from the Ivory Coast.
What it means for Ghana
Accra Fashion Week fills the void as a prodigious fashion intermediary connecting the dots between exceptional creativity and culture. In the past, it was hard for thousands of local boutiques to support made in Ghana fashion because of lack of professionalism, mediocre quality of goods, dislike for common wax prints, improper branding, pricing issues, etc. The fashion week organizers bring to the fore many talented designers who defy the odds.
We have not yet forgotten the bright spotlight on Nina Sharae; the first plus size swimwear designer to do it in deluxe style, and the iconic Vica Michaels who received the Accra Fashion Week classic model of the year award.
Aside the main shows which came off on March,31 and April, 1, Accra Fashion Week had designer-buyer workshops, showroom experiences, the Vvip welcome party, a fashion fair, a modeling in Ghana seminar and a business of fashion seminar. The seminars at this year’s fashion week were directed along the lines of core business understanding for mass production, man power, finance, networking, distribution and space for showcasing. Who knows? Fashion could be the next game changer for boosting Ghana‘s tourism ratings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.