The Calanques, outside of Marseille, are a must-see natural wonder. Here’s our guide on where to find them, what to do there, what to see nearby and when it’s best to go.
What And Where Are The Calanques?
The Calanques are a series of rocky cliffs and bays between the city of Marseille and the town of Cassis, in the south of France. They’re essentially inlets that have been formed in the limestone cliffs, leaving behind a series of beautiful little bays. The word Calanques, comes from calanche in Corsican and calancas in Occitan, which means “inlet”. The area has a very specific eco-system (with no soil – the plants live in the limestone) and has been a protected area since 2012, when the entire 20 mile stretch of Calanques was designated a national park.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When Is The Best Time To Go?
Many of the Calanques are actually closed in the height of summer, because the risk of fire is too great. Sometimes people are allowed through to hike, but cars are banned from June 1st to September 30th. May to June is the best time to go, when the weather is amazing before the heat and Autumnal rain arrives. But it’s worth saying that the Calanques are beautiful any time of the year and well worth a visit (if you’re allowed in).
You can also approach the Calanques from the sea, so kayaking from Marseille or Cassis is an option. There are lots of boating tours that leave from the harbour in Cassis that visit all the Calanques. If you want to stop off and swim, hire a boat from the same place. There are lots of hiking excursions from Cassis too. The Tourist Office in Cassis offers links to tour companies and also lots of practical advice on visiting the region.
Where To Eat
Le Château restaurant is in the Calanque Sormiou, right at the water’s edge. It’s a favourite with locals and tourists, who come to swim and then eat gloriously fresh fish or bouillabaisse with a glass of local wine.
Opening hours: Daily, 12pm to 3pm. Monday to Saturday, 7.30pm to 9.30pm. Closed Sunday evenings.
Parc national des Calanques, Route du Feu de la Calanque de Sormiou, Marseille +33 (0)4 91 25 08 69
Le Lunch is open from May 30th each year until October 15th. It’s a more low-key option than Le Château, although it’s still pricey (it’s a captive market, there isn’t anywhere else to go in the area). Eat some nice fresh fish or seafood overlooking the sea.
Opening hours: 12pm to 2.30pm, Monday to Saturday. (12pm to 3pm Sundays). 8pm to 10pm, daily.
Parc national des Calanques, Calanque de Sormiou, Marseille +33 (0)4 91 25 05 37
Remember that all the Calanques can get extraordinarily busy. If you don’t book a table at one of the restaurants, it can be incredibly difficult to eat, particularly as these places are not open all day. Don’t forget though, you can always buy a beer or a soft drink from the bar to go with a picnic.
There are no natural freshwater sources in the Calanques, so you must take lots of water. Parking is limited – even when you are allowed to drive down to the bottom – and on occasion you may have to park at the top and walk down. Take sturdy shoes and don’t forget your swimsuit, sun cream and towel for the well-earned swim at the bottom.
Where To Visit Nearby
People adore the small little fishing town of Cassis. It has a great beach (with seaside restaurants), a cute harbour, chic shops and wonderful ice cream parlours. Parking can be a nightmare so either get there early in the day, or use the Park and Ride service from the top of the hill, taking the bus down into town. Make sure you have change to pay for the parking and bus tickets. It’s a great place to idle away a few hours, watching the people and boats go by.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.