With its raw coastline, green-crested mountains, laid-back atmosphere and rich cultural heritage, there is so much to explore in Ghana beyond the vibrant cities. Discover the best of rural Ghana with a stay at these hotels – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Leave the hot, sticky streets and cosmopolitan haunts of Accra behind and set out to reconnect with nature. From long coastal stretches dotted with whitewashed forts serving as a harrowing reminder of the slave trade, to the lush farmland of the Volta Region and the thriving biodiversity of Mole National Park, challenging yourself to step off the beaten tourist path here is guaranteed to lead to a rewarding experience. Here’s where you should stay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With a commitment to sustainable ecotourism, Ankobra Beach Resort is proud to have a positive impact on the surrounding landscapes and local community. The 20 main rooms are charming West African-themed chalets, while the on-site ECO Village provides bunk bed accommodation for students, backpackers and volunteers at a discounted rate. With a 6km (3.7mi) beach at your disposal, it would easy to spend all your time under the shade of a palm tree before cooling off in the foam-capped ocean. But if you want to keep active you can join one of the many organised excursions – anything from Ankobra River tours, to art or drumming workshops, to sea turtle observation tours – or take advantage of the ideal ocean conditions and book a surf lesson.
The Wli Water Heights Hotel offers a clean, simple and comfortable stay within the untamed Agumatsa Wildlife Sanctuary in Ghana’s Volta Region. Guests can hike up to the thundering Wli Waterfalls, the highest in West Africa, just a short distance away. Keep your eyes peeled for the 200 bird species and 400 butterfly species that can be spotted along the way. If you happen to be visiting in October, the annual Wli Waterfall Festival is a great way to immerse yourself in local history and tradition.
Labadi Beach Hotel is just 7km (4.3mi) away from Accra city centre, but manages to feel like a palm-fringed oasis, well away from the buzz of city streets. Featuring stylish air-conditioned rooms and luxury amenities such as Nespresso machines, private balconies, private beach, pool, sauna and fitness centre, this opulent hotel does not shy away from extravagance. Once you are well and truly relaxed, take advantage of the tour desk and fuel your sense of adventure by signing up for one of the many excursions on offer.
Another city oasis, the elegant Mahogany Lodge in Accra offers guests the chance to escape the crowded bustle of the city streets and unwind in a tranquil location. The hotel is well connected to the top attractions in Accra, such as Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park and the W. E. B. Dubois Center for Pan African Culture, but we recommend a visit to the verdant Aburi Botanical Gardens, an hour’s drive away. The botanical gardens were first opened in 1890 and have since played an important role in promoting plant diversity in Ghana.
Zaina Lodge is the first luxury safari lodge in West Africa, and it lives up to all expectations. The 25 rooms are luxury tents with a simple elegance that lets the Ghanaian-influenced design shine. Outdoor showers and private balconies come as standard. The forest-shrouded lodge is within Mole National Park, the largest game reserve in Ghana, and offers guided walking tours and jeep safari tours. This is the perfect place to go off grid and explore a striking, remote region of northern Ghana.
On the banks of the Volta River, 14km (9mi) from the Akosombo Dam, this four-star, thatched-roofed hotel provides the highest standard of service in one of the most beautiful, remote locations in Ghana. All 84 rooms seamlessly blend traditional Ghanaian design with modern touches, and feature flat-screen TVs, private balconies and mesmerising river views. There’s an outdoor pool, spa, tennis courts, gym, kayak rentals and a delicious restaurant and cocktail lounge on site. Don’t spend all your time on the hotel grounds, though – get out and discover nearby landmarks such as the Adomi Bridge.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.