Ghanaians love food. This is evident in our large portions, the plethora of street food on every corner and with every hawker. Here are some of the best food experiences you should be sure not to miss on your next visit.
Ghana’s new flavours
Little Havana is the newest kid on the Accra block and it is worth the wait. Exclusively sponsored by Havana rum, this is West Africa’s first Afro-Latino-inspired street food restaurant. Located in an old colonial house painted in Cuban colours, it offers a full Cuban menu that includes roast pork and tostones, as well as other Cuban dishes made with local ingredients with a Ghanaian twist.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
On the majority of weekends you will find a food fair or outdoor market, which is a haven for amateur and small-scale businesses to showcase their treats and delicacies, from tasty versions of jollof to desserts and chocolates. There’s something for everyone.
Ghanaian flavours get a new imagining with the one-of-a-kind Midunu, which bills itself as a company celebrating Ghana’s culinary heritage. Private dining is on offer, with sample dishes including plantain gnocchi and mango creme brûlée, as well as their nomadic dining events that pop up across Accra, with a multi-course menu that enables you to mingle and make new friends among other foodies. A popular event, reservations are strictly first come, first served.
Tuck into the best of traditional Ghanaian cuisine and regional delicacies
With so many tribes, there are many different types of traditional food to tuck into. Some of the most popular are soups, such as groundnut, palm nut and okro, eaten with varied starch balls, such as sweet-tasting fufu, or smooth and sour banku. Other popular dishes are kenke, the spiced plantain called kelewele, and the bean-and-rice-based dish called waakye. Street food, such as roasted plantain eaten with nuts and fried yams with pepper dip, are also popular and in the coastal areas you’ll find all kinds of prawns and oysters sold on spears, as well as other seafood.
Regional dishes can be found as you journey around the country, such as abolo (a steamed and sweetened corn dumpling) in regions where the Krobo tribe are based, and tuo zafi (a light, millet ball) in the northern region. Lots of this fare can be sampled at Buka or Country Kitchen, both popular lunch spots, and, if you can’t decide what to try, go for the buffet at Azmera Restaurant and sample a little of everything.
Be surprised at the authentic international cuisine on offer
A number of international communities have migrated to Ghana over time and have opened highly rated restaurants. Simret Ethiopian restaurant is a small, six-table establishment that runs a selective and incredible buffet four nights a week. Reservations are essential. Some of the best Thai can be had at the only (slightly larger) establishment of Zion Thai in the popular enclave of Osu.
South Indian flavours, including dosas, can be found at Salt and Pepper, while at Tema you will find scores of Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai and Korean restaurants (as well as casinos), in this port city that’s had a large Far East Asian influx in the last few years. Japanese fine dining is at its best in Santoku, from the team behind the world-famous Nobu chain.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.