In today’s society, where we are constantly seeking knowledge, access to information through reading is very important. This implies that there should be more libraries, book stores, and platforms promoting literature to enhance information sharing, storytelling, intellectual development, cultural activity and sustainable development. In Accra, these are seven bookworm havens everyone should know about.
Libreria in West Legon is Ghana’s first subscription model library dedicated to providing readers with high-quality African literature as well as contemporary international content. The founder, Sylvia Arthur, saw the need for a carefully curated fictional and nonfictional collection of African, African diaspora, travel writing, current affairs and children’s literature for interested Ghanaians.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What used to be 1,700 of her personal readings are now a fundamental part of a growing bookworm haven open to all ages. Since its opening on 15th December 2017, Libreria has organized talks, games and performance sessions to engage book lovers from all parts of Accra. In addition to providing the latest and best books which readers identify with, Libreria looks to stimulate and maintain active reading for kids through this fundraiser everyone should support.
Libreria, 114 Westlands Blvd, Accra, Ghana +233 55 250 5989
Balme Library, University of Ghana
Since its establishment in 1948 in Gold Coast (now Ghana), on what is now University of Ghana, Legon, the Balme Library, which got its name directly from David Mowbray Balme, has been one of the biggest bookworm havens in the capital and country. About 12 kilometres (7.45 miles) northeast of Accra central, you’ll find Balme: the oldest and largest of all Ghanaianuniversity and tertiary institution libraries.
Ever since the institution gained full university status, its 40,000+ students and those from outside institutions use the Balme Library on Mondays to Fridays from 9AM to 10PM and 8AM to 4PM on Saturdays. The original emphasis of the university was on the liberal arts, social sciences, basic science, agriculture, and medicine; but with time, more technology-based, vocational and postgraduate training programs were introduced, and as such, the library grew to accommodate literature from those subjects. It is one of the few libraries where you can find books on nuclear physics and engineering, also because only a handful of schools in Africa offer these courses.
George Padmore Library
George Padmore, the leading Pan-Africanist, journalist, and author, left Trinidad in 1924 to study medicine in the United States, before moving to the Soviet Union where he worked on African independence movements. Padmore also lived for a time in Germany, France, and London, before moving to Accra late in life, where he died on 23rd September 1959.
In June 1961, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, the first Ghanaian president and a dear friend of George Padmore, set up the George Padmore Library on the Gamel Abdul Nasser Avenue in Accra. Hard copies of rare African research work, African literature, history, languages, philosophy, stories and newspapers can be found here. Also, independent authors can acquire their International Standard Book Number (ISBN) and International Standard Serial Number (ISSN) here.
George Padmore Library, Gamel Abdul Nasser Ave, Accra, Ghana +233 26 348 5254
Vidya or SyTris book stores
For warm and welcoming customer service as well as a good stock of contemporary books, check Vidya bookstore on the 18th Lane Oxford Street adjacent the Ivory Coast Embassy, or SyTris, located on the GIMPA Campus (in front of Mamphey Conference Hall) and SilverBird Life Style Shop, Accra Mall.
Place your orders for books you can’t find at Vidya for prompt delivery.
Vidya Bookstore, 18th Lane-Oxford Street, Accra, Ghana +233 24 426 2098
SyTris Bookshop, A&C Mall Jungle Rd, Accra, Ghana +233 50 744 4204
Osu Children’s Library
For the past 25 years, Kathy Knowles, the wife of a former gold mining employee from Canada, has helped to construct libraries in Ridge, Nima, Mamprobi, Nungua, Goi, Madina, Korle Gorno and other communities outside Greater Accra as part of the Osu Children’s Library Fund Project. In close partnership with local authorities and communities, the fund develops a network for book lovers, primarily in Ghana, where literacy, theatre, art, tech adoption, volunteering and publishing come together.
Multimedia Library Alliance Francaise
For French expatriates in Accra, as well as persons wishing to learn or improve their French, Alliance Française’s Multimedia Library houses over 8,000 books on French language and culture for general public use. There is also the Alliance Française Book Club, which started in May 2017 with the captivating book The Iced Water Seller by Mariska Darko.
Alliance Francaise d’Accra, Casely Hayford Rd, Accra, Ghana +233 50 128 7814
Radio and online hubs
Tune in to Writers Project every Sunday after 8PM to hear poets, storytellers and authors read their content on Citi FM in Accra and online, and do well to visit at least one of their amazing public readings in the capital. Afrolitt’ is your go-to vibrant readers’ dialogue web series. Also, Book Nook is your final online destination for antique books.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.