Located in West Africa, Ghana is an impressive mix of natural beauty, history and culture. From baboons and elephants to pristine beaches, lush mountains, traditional art and ancient looms, there is a lot that should not to be missed. Here are 20 attractions in Ghana to add to your must-see list.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Baboons at Shai Hills
Unique, cheeky and laid back, these monkeys congregate in families and aren’t afraid to get close to this savanna reservation at the edge of the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Traditional Kente weavers in the Ashanti Region
Watch traditional weavers at work with their ancient tools and pick up some of the most popular fabric in Africa in its original form – in a multitude of colour combinations.
The largest waterfall not only in Ghana but also West Africa, Wli Waterfalls teems with fruit bats in the middle of a lush, ancient forest.
The world’s largest man-made lake, Lago Volta’s meandering tributaries are interspersed with small islands and lovely hotels and restaurants designed for peace and relaxation.
Jamestown street art
Unique, riotous and arresting, Jamestown is a popular neigbourhood in the city of Accra, known for its colourful street art. It merges old architecture with new attitudes and has all the boldness of young Ghanaians.
White Sands Resort
This exclusive beach resort is peaceful, secluded and offers the best of Ghana coastal life. A true retreat.
Elephant herds at Mole
A gorgeous sight to behold: elephant families feeding at watering holes in the vast Mole National Park in the Northern Region, that also boasts hippos and buffaloes.
The highest mountain in West Africa offers spectacular views into both Ghana and Togo from its summit, which is accessed through dense forest and a four-hour climb, passing three levels of waterfall along the way.
Escape 3 Points Ecolodge
A stunning and secluded eco resort on the southernmost tip of Ghana, complete with sea turtle sanctuary, locally sourced food, and a pristine beach, with nearby hiking and surfing options also available.
A UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most visited former-slave forts in West Africa, this sombre place tells the harrowing history of the trans-Atlantic slave trade.
Fort Gross Friedrichsburg
A hidden gem of history, this German-built European country-style manor sits high on a cliff in Princes Town, overlooking one the of most secluded beaches in the whole country.
Centre of National Culture in Accra
Overlooking a large stretch of sea and covering much-exhaustive space, this sprawling market is a one-stop shop for arts, crafts, clothing and all manner of gifts, with many artisans producing wood-working products on site.
Canopy Walk at Kakum
One of the only two canopy walks on the entire African continent is located at the Kakum National Park. Brave the swinging bridge to see different species of monkey, look down at the deer, and marvel at the various beautiful and rare birds that fly overhead.
Boabeng Fiema Monkey Sanctuary
Located in the temperate Brong-Ahafo Region, this conservation forest teems with monkey and bird life, providing a haven for species that are sadly threatened with extinction all over West Africa. The monkeys are considered sacred and the village is charged with protecting these special animals.
Situated where the Atlantic ocean meets the Volta River – and filled with palm-lined beaches, estuaries, islands, and a wetland lagoon that harbours many important bird species – this popular weekend spot has resorts to suit every taste and budget. Here you’ll also find a boat-filled lake and a surrounding village with 19th-century remnants, including the ruins of Danish-built Fort Kongenstein.
The most lively and jam-packed part of Accra sprawls some distance, and Makola market is a resource for everything – from local food products and household items, to crafts and music. Built in a part of the old city that still has colonial architecture towering overhead, a major draw is the wide variety of fabrics on offer.
Live Music at The Republic
The Republic is an Accra staple, known for its Wednesday-night live music sessions, regular DJ sets and excellent drinks menu, including akpeteshie (local rum or gin) and mixed cocktails. Set in the middle of Osu, its indoor and outdoor pub vibe only adds to the ambience.
Weekends at Kokrobite
A lively and popular fishing community comprising a handful of guest houses, resorts and restaurants, Kokrobite is known for its surf culture and regular weekend live music nights, which include highlife at Dizzy Lizzie‘s on the beach, bands from Burkina Faso, and a lively reggae party at Big Milly’s Backyard.
Events at Alliance Française Accra
A multi-faceted space that includes the wonderful outdoor Nicolino Restaurant, this French-run establishment is known for its investment in the arts – with its outdoor theatre, music amphitheatre, and numerous art and photography exhibitions that take place throughout the year in a lovely compound decorated with interesting sculptures and murals.
Nzulezu Stilt Village
Built on Lake Tadane, just west of Takoradi and only accessible by canoe, traversing the rainforest along the way, this magical traditional village – whose inhabitants believe their homes on water protect them from certain ills – was recently named a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is unlike anywhere else in the whole of Ghana.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.