Away from the busy resorts and large hotels are these some lovely gems. These highly individual guest houses usually feature a very small number of rooms in gorgeous surroundings with a homely vibe. We highlight the best small accommodation in Ghana.
In the winding hills above Accra, away from the city traffic and mosquitoes, is the quaint and peaceful Hillburi Lodge. It offers only a handful of rooms and a well-run restaurant and a gorgeous landscaped garden, complete with an infinity pool that takes in the lovely views across the Akwapim mountain range and the city lights of Accra.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located on the road to the Eastern corridor, this guest house never fails to charm all those that pass through. Situated in the verdant Peki valley and surrounded by lovely hills, Rootsyard is a family-run spot offering arguably the best vegan food in all of Ghana, home-brewed Akpeteshie, handmade huts for lodging, and an altogether great atmosphere.
This tiny and well appointed beachfront house offers some delightful rooms, lovingly furnished by its French owners right in the center of Busua beach, but away from the larger hotels and resorts. The porch area is a popular spot for all meals where there is always a tasty and creative menu made up from the fresh catch. The inn also features a well known and slightly pesky in-house monkey.
Ezime Guest House
In a quiet pocket of Ada, away from the heaving resorts and beachfront bars, is this lovely guest house that also has a great restaurant and pizzeria. Private house vibes abound where there is a delightful porch for eating and relaxing and a handful of rooms done up to a high standard. This is a great place from which to discover the old town of Ada.
Asantewaa Guest House
Not far from the lovely KNUST Botanical Gardens in Kumasi is this gem of a guest house, which is highly rated with particular note to its coziness, quality of facilities, and friendliness of staff. You can expect high-quality amenities, such as an on-site restaurant, en-suite bathrooms, and a 24-hour concierge. A lovely addition is the free use of the on-site bicycles to take advantage of the area, which is popular with cyclists.
Located on Lake Bosumtwi, Cocoa Village is a relaxing and low-key bread and breakfast from which to take in the best of the huge crater lake and indulge in activities such as swimming, canoeing, boating, paddle boarding, and fishing, to name a few. A verdant garden restaurant, where meals can be taken, is another lovely feature.
Set back from the strip in its own magical enclave is this lovely garden guest house that has always been known for its ever popular restaurant featuring Italian specialties and huge, authentic pizzas as well as fresh fish. Quirky, beautiful, and all lovingly handmade, the garden offers a handful of starkly individual houses, from Greek-style rooms to bamboo huts and a see-it-to-believe-it tree house. This is a must stay place for a peaceful Kokrobite experience.
Wli Waterfall Lodge
With a premiere location that has a view of the surrounding mountain ranges, Wli Lodge is an oasis of peace in an already peaceful area of stunning natural beauty. Individual rooms or huts are available in this large landscaped compound that sits in the middle of the village. A gorgeous central summer hut is where meals and drinks are served from and is the best place to catch the views.
Fairhill Guest House
A great place to stay in Cape Coast, Fairhill offers accommodation that is ten minutes from Cape Coast Castle and 30 minutes from Kakum National Park. The guest house has been awarded with accolades from Ghana Tourist Board for many years and is chock full of facilities, including a restaurant, terrace bar, car park, and conference room.
Sankofa Beach House
Out of the way of the main drag of Kokrobite is this gem of a beach house that offers a choice of accommodation between the main beach house and various bungalows and huts. Entertainment pavilions are on hand for parties and meals as well as activities, such as football and volleyball, all in a serene beach front locale.
Natural Bamboo Village Guesthouse
Something of a hidden gem that defies advertising, this lovely spot is only a few hundred meters away from both Cape Coast Castle and Cape Coast market. Located right on the beach and certainly off the beaten track, Natural Bamboo offers basic, yet charming accommodation, shared bathrooms, and a lovely restaurant for those seeking a low key, no frills, and all natural environment.
Located in Takoradi, this friendly and laid back spot sits in a quiet neighborhood. Winner of Best Guest House in Ghana, Harding’s Lodge is perfect for a short stop over in the city, having large airy rooms and comfortable furnishings. The lack of an on-site restaurant isn’t really a problem as Takoradi is filled with its own selection of bars and restaurants to suit everyone’s taste.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.