It can be tough finding original things to do on a date in a tiny city such as Accra. Here are our picks of some fun and unique activities you might not have been privy to.
Unusual for Accra, what is even more unusual is how tailor-made Marvels’ mini golf course is: not only does it boast a putting green, it also has a tea house and hosts regular movie nights, making it a on-stop shop for a fun date.
Marvels MiniGofl, Efua Sutherland Road, Accra, Ghana, +233 30 291 5400
For the sporty outdoor types that like to be in nature, head to Kokrobite and either rent boards and chat while you paddle out to the horizon, or take a couples surf lesson with Mr Brights surf school. Either way, it will be a great day out and you can combine it with a romantic dinner at Kokrobite Garden, set back from the beach in a very romantic garden.
Mr Brights Surf Shop and School, Kokrobite, Accra, Ghana, +233 26 431 6053
Go chocolate tasting
Considered by some to be an aphrodisiac, spend a date trying out all the weird and wonderful (as well as delicious) flavours of chocolate at ’57 Chocolate. You could even bring along a bottle of red wine to make things more fun.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Call ’57 Chocolate at +233 504 736 539 to book an appointment
Instead of just chatting over dinner, practice your art skills in this popular evening out that takes place at the rooftop deli at Roots Hotel Apartment once a week. Led by a local artist, you are invited to drink, eat and paint while leaving your judgements at the door.
Roots Hotel Apartment, H/N. F97/2, 15th Lane Osu Re, Accra, Ghana, +233 30 701 0274
The always fun and vibrant Coco Lounge is also home to the best tequila in town on Thursday nights. If you’re tequila lovers, enjoy the Mexican music, down a host of shots and cocktails, and enjoy the specialist Mexican-inspired menu. A truly fun night.
Coco Lounge, Icon House, Stanbic Heights, Accra, Ghana, +233 24 422 2202
For the animal lovers out there, this mini zoo at the Achimota Conservation Area is far better for wandering and talking than a traditional zoo due to its intimate setting. It’s also a breeding ground for endangered primates, and the animals are easy to access. The place gets scant visitation, letting you have an almost private tour of the grounds. Chat to the park rangers, wander the area and learn about the monkeys, ostriches and varieties of wild birds.
These dance crazes are where West Africa meets Latino culture, with its origins in the Latino-inspired afrobeats of Angola. Kizomba originated in Angola in the 1970s and has taken Accra by storm in recent years, with its sultry moves and hip-swaying. Kizsalsa takes inspiration from where the two dances meet: a sensuous combination. Kizomba and kizsalsa nights are held at Afrikiko on Wednesdays, where you can mix it up with dinner and drinks, or you and your date can get serious and take a class from Kizomba Ghana at their studio near the Presidential Palace.
Contact Kizomba Ghana at +233 24 481 6892
If you love a good glass of wine or bubbly, then Sai Wine & Champagne Café is where you need to be. This specialist wine and champagne bar is perfect date territory, with its cosy and intimate indoor setting that feels like you’re in your living room. Sip on the wines and champagnes, nibble on the light bites, and, if the mood strikes you, stay for an elegant dinner.
Sai Wine & Champagne Café, Ndabaningi Sithole Rd, Accra, Ghana, +233 20 690 5257
For those who love to kick back with some great live reggae music, head to Tawala Beach on Wednesday nights, where you will find this seaside bar’s atmosphere to be electric.
La Tawala Beach Resort, 933 Jomo Street, Accra, Ghana, +233 24 499 0099
If you want to explore something new and have an endless talking point, then head to Teshie and one of the coffin workshops that reside there. Get a tour and be amazed at the coffins on offer and the originality of their designs.
Kwae Kane Carpentry Workshop, Teshie Road, Accra, Ghana, +233 24 411 4719
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.