The natural world has provided us with organic healing materials for millennia. Nowadays, research is being done to determine how much they can help with different illnesses with increasingly positive results. Here are a few species native to the African continent that are proving effective at curing diseases.
Acacia Senegal (gum arabic)
A medicinal remedy that goes back centuries, gum arabica, derived from an exudate of the bark, has been used for the treatment of numerous infections and afflictions including bronchitis, bleeding, diarrhoea and respiratory infections to name a few. A natural emulsifier, it is also used to bind various pills, as well as sweets and added to soft drinks as it has the consistency of glue, but is safe to consume. It is also used to treat ailments of the skin such as bacterial and fungal infections, burns and even leprosy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Aloe Ferox (Cape Aloe)
This branch of the aloe vera family is native to South Africa and has such a long and deep rooted usage in the culture that the plant is depicted in San rock paintings. This bitter plant is used as a laxative medicine and also has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties with the ferox gel having 130 medicinal agents. Ingesting or applying the bitter sap can also aid against arthritis, sinusitis and conjunctivitis, and juice from the cut leaves can treat burns, detoxifying the damaged area and promoting new tissue formation and filling the wound.
This strongly aromatic and greyish dwarf shrub is native to North Africa and has been used in the region for thousands of years. In Tunisia, it is used to treat hypertension, diabetes, bronchitis and neuralgias, while herbal teas made from the bark are used as antibacterial agents. In Moroccan folk tales, it is used to prevent hypertension, while the nomadic desert Bedouin tribe have used it to cure stomach disorders. It has also been an important addition to the fodder of sheep and livestock in the Algerian plateau where it grows abundantly.
This leaf is native to South Africa where it is used to make its distinctive and naturally caffeine-free tea that is low in tannins and a natural antioxidant. After an infusion of rooibos was given to a colicky baby, it was discovered that it had an effect on the baby’s chronic restlessness, vomiting and stomach cramps, after which it became known as a medicinal drink. Even today, rooibos is mixed with milk or made as a weak brew to help babies’ ailments. It is also used to alleviate symptoms of Type 2 diabetes, increasing the glucose uptake in muscles and insulin secretion, as well as lowering blood pressure and assisting with nervous tensions, allergies and digestive problems.
Centella Asiatica (Pennywort)
This plant has been used since prehistoric times in many parts of the world, including African folk medicine. It can be eaten as a vegetable or used as a spice to treat a wide range of ailments including asthma, rheumatism and skin and eye diseases, as well as having an effect on cognitive functions such as memory and disorders such as epilepsy. It’s use as a treatment for leprosy has been documented as far back as 1887.
A well-known plant, this is noted for its anti-cancer alkaloids and also for the fact that it cannot be synthesised in a lab, inhibiting its large-scale production and making the leaves of this plant the only source. Traditionally used by healers as a bitter tonic and emetic for rheumatism, skin disorders and venereal diseases, it also has a significant effect on glucose and blood sugar levels.
This indigenous South African leaf is a traditional health drink; its shoots and flowers are fermented and dried to make tea. It provides numerous benefits to the stomach and urinary tract without effecting the heart. Naturally caffeine-free, it has gone from wild to commercial produce in the last 100 years due to its uses as an expectorant for catarrh and pulmonary tuberculosis. The modern tea is prepared as an infusion and sometimes combined with rooibos as well as dried fruits and leaves to create honeybush tea.
Native to the red sand areas of the transvaal: South Africa, Botswana and Namibia, this plant spread to the Kalahari regions due to its adaptation to dry desert areas. In use for centuries by the San and Koi people, devil’s claw can be used to alleviate allergies, for diabetes, blood diseases, as a topical ointment on boils, heartburn, gastrointestinal disorders, skin injuries and ulcers. It is used primarily for joint diseases, back pain and headache.
Also known as bitter gourd, this plant is grown throughout Africa. Its leaves can be boiled and made into a tea called cerasse and the other parts such as the pulp, seeds, leaves and plants, can be used to extract a juice known in folklore as an aid to diabetes and as a hypoglycaemic agent.
Umckalaobo (South African geranium)
An aid in the treatment of respiratory infections, bronchitis and common colds, this plant is native to coastal areas of South Africa. The roots of this plant are said to have an anti-tubercular effect and to stimulate the body’s natural immune response.
Hypoxis (African Potato/African Star Grass)
A plant well-known for its immune-boosting properties, the corn of the plant is dried and crushed into a powder and sold in the form of capsules and creams. Native to the areas of the Eastern Cape: KwaZulu Natal, Gauteng and Limpopo, it is said to be effective in the fight against cancer, tuberculosis, HIV and other chronic conditions that are currently being researched.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.