In this fast evolving country, the best restaurants reflect the diverse nature of the community and range in location from Accra to the Northern Region, and from Takoradi to Kumasi. The variety of restaurants cover everything, from laid-back diner fare to upscale gourmet Japanese and old world French cuisine, situated in upscale spaces with rooftop views to cozy homely gardens.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The gold standard for high end, superbly crafted Japanese food; this beautifully appointed space sits on the ground floor of the Iconic Villagio tower and is well known for its elegance and high standards – which is to be expected from the team that set up the internationally famous Nobu restaurants. An outdoor drinks patio is perfect for before and after the meal and for those who are a little overwhelmed by the dinner offerings, a smaller but still lovely tasting menu is available every day for lunch.
The Buka Restaurant
For great Ghanaian food in Accra, look no further than Buka. Centrally located in restaurant-dense Osu and set in a relaxed environment with a choice of indoor/outdoor seating or the comfort of an air conditioned anteroom, Buka is great for sampling a wide range of delicious local foods. Always a popular spot for lunch, go early or late to guarantee a table on the popular patio. The grilled tilapia is ever popular, as is their fufu with guinea fowl in a rich groundnut soup.
The View Bar and Grill
This Kumasi spot wins points for its highly rated food, drinks, good service and presentation which is set on the third floor of the Adamfo building (an excellent place to catch the sunset). A Euro-style comfort food menu of fish and chips, burgers and garlic bread nestle amongst other favourites, all situated alongside modern decor with a great wine menu also on hand.
For seafood in Takoradi, look no further than this old establishment with a lovely atmosphere and filled with charm. Located in the middle of town, the seafood is consistently fresh and well cooked alongside other continental offerings such as steak, which keeps people coming back for again and again. Definitely worth a look in when in the Sekondi-Takoradi area.
Winner of Ghana Tourist Authority’s restaurant of the year, Bistro 22 is also one of the most popular as well as relaxed in Accra. This kitchen and bar set in a low key house in Labone features a wide selection of high quality foods such as a varieties of steak, calamari, seasonal salads, juicy burgers and desserts. An outdoor patio with comfortable seating adds to the relaxed environment and an extensive wine menu is also on hand.
One of the oldest French restaurants in Accra is housed on Liberation Road in a quaint manse set back from the street. La Chaumiere retains an intimate setting with thoughtful decor and a small bar. The food is sumptuous and rich with excellent meat, fish and French specialties such as French Onion Soup, Andouillette sausage and rabbit, all topped off with on point service and a good wine list.
The Indian restaurant of choice when in Takoradi, this eatery has tasty home-cooked quality Indian food that veers on the spicy side and also has many vegetarian options, which can sometimes be difficult to find in Ghana. A covered bar with fans provides well-priced drinks. Located in a busy neighbourhood, one of its main draws is that it’s also peaceful and relaxing.
The gold standard for pizza in Accra is located in Osu among a plethora of restaurants and stands out for its large covered outdoor space that is packed on any given evening. Red checked tablecloths, large wood-fired pizza ovens and a laid back and jovial atmosphere all create a casual outdoor dining. The menu also includes salads, pastas and vegetarian/vegan options.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.