There’s something about lakes that take our breath away. From their still surfaces and mirror-like reflections to their crystal clarity, the lakes in Egypt showcase some of the country’s most beautiful natural wonders. Some stand out more than others; however, what they all have in common is their everlasting natural beauty. Read on as you discover the most beautiful lakes in Egypt that are all definitely worth a visit.
Siwa’s salt lakes
One of the most beautiful oases in Egypt, Siwa Oasis lies in the Western Desert where visitors flock here for its healing hot springs, beautiful landscapes and unique desert activities. It’s a place where you can stroll amid palm trees while enjoying the view of its salt lakes. While passing by these lakes, you would think that they are beaches due to their crystal blue colour; however, they are, in fact, lakes, but not your typical lakes. Due to the large amount of salt found in Siwa’s water, they act as a medical treatment for the eyes and skin.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Surrounded by sand dunes and rocky mountains, Magic Lake is one of Fayoum’s most prominent and stunning lakes. Located in Wadi El Hitan in the Fayoum Oasis, this body of water acquired its name from its magical changing of colours, which occurs throughout the day. Luckily, there are many activities near the lake such as desert safaris, sand boarding, camping, horseback riding or simply having a relaxed dinner overlooking the lake while watching the sunset.
Wadi Al Rayan Lakes
Other lakes that the Fayoum Oasis features include the Wadi Al Rayan lakes. The two freshwater lakes that lie in the valley of Wadi Al Rayan are more touristy and busy than Magic Lake due to the natural waterfall running between the upper and lower lakes. The lakes are also surrounded by wide sand dunes and beautiful landscapes, which all together create Instagram-worthy shots.
Lake Moeris, also known as Lake Qarun, is an ancient lake that was originally created due to the overflow of the Nile into the Fayoum hollow during the Pharaohs ruling. The lake, which was a freshwater lake in the past, is now a smaller saltwater lake that covers around 202 square kilometres. The whole area is home to ancient monuments and treasures that are worth visiting as well.
One of the largest man-made lakes in the world, Lake Nasser is located in Aswan and was created as the result of the construction of the Aswan High Dam. It is named after Egypt’s second president Gamal Abdel Nasser, as he was the one who initiated the High Dam project. The lake is mesmerizing; however, it’s not the only highlight of this place – in fact, it is one out of many. For that reason, visitors flock to Aswan from all over the world for its ancient monuments, cultural treasures and amazing landscapes.
Known as Egypt’s second-largest lake, Burullus is a brackish water lake that is located in the Kafr El-Sheikh governorate. It is also considered as a protected area that stretches over 460 square kilometres. The lake is an environmental site for its salt swamps and sand plains, as well as a historic one as the historical settlement Paralus lies underneath its water. The area is also home to hundreds of diverse species of fish, birds, reptiles and mammals that live around the lake.
Also known as Crocodile Lake, Lake Timsah lies in the Ismailia governorate and is one of its famous attractions. The lake lies within a depression that spans the isthmus between the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. The water’s surface area covers around 5.4 square miles, where different beaches overlook the lake such as Bahary, Fayrouz, Melaha and several Suez Canal Authority beaches.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.