Egypt is among the most popular tourist destinations in Africa due to its rich historical heritage and amazing scenery – along with an array of markets well worth an explore. Whether you’re a shopping lover or not, it makes for a great day out. Here are the best markets to visit during your time in Egypt.
Want to join like-minded travellers and explore Egypt further? You can book a place now on TRIPS by Culture Trip’s 12-day epic pyramids, temples and the Nile tour.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the Islamic area of Cairo, Khan El Khalili is one of the oldest markets in Egypt dating back to 1382. While strolling through the market, enjoy the Islamic historical buildings and discover more about Islamic Cairo’s history. In addition to being the most well-known silver market, this spot is the perfect place to shop for old antiques, handmade accessories and old perfume bottles – as well as coins, glassware, handcrafts, shishas and costumes that would make a perfect gift. Tempted to visit? You can do so with Culture Trip on our immersive small-group Egypt adventure, led by our local insider.
Located near the wall of Azbakeya gardens, this place is the most renowned book market that sells old, unique and used books in Cairo – and it dates back to the 19th century. With more than 130 stalls, a book seeker can find any genre they have in mind with lower prices than any other bookstore. The sellers here are very friendly and helpful, so if you can’t find the book you’re looking for, leave your phone number and they’ll call you back once they find it.
Souq Al Goma’a is one of the largest markets in Cairo. Located under El-Tonsi Bridge in the middle of the City of the Dead – where cemeteries are located – and near Salah Eldin Citadel, it’s a place where you can find almost anything. Or as the Egyptians like to say, “From needle to rock,” with the cheapest prices. You can shop for anything from furniture to mobile phones and ceramic tiles to clothes here. Be warned: the market is always overcrowded, so keep an extra eye on your pockets.
Established in the 19th century, Wekalet Al Balah is one of the most famous markets that sell medium quality and second-hand imported clothes. It’s located on the Nile Corniche between the Boulaq neighbourhood and the affluent Zamalek. Shoppers can also find very affordable fabrics, shoes, bags and furniture here. It’s certainly a bit of an adventure visiting this market, but do avoid wearing fancy clothes.
Named after the founder of modern Egypt, Mohammed Ali, this street was constructed in the 1860s as a part of Khedive Ismail’s vision for a Cairo built in European style. The street was a centre for oriental arts in Cairo – and home to professional belly dancers. For now, it’s considered one of the best places to manufacture, sell and repair musical instruments.
While spending your vacation in Sharm El-Sheikh, the Old Market in Sharm El Sheikh is the best place to shop for souvenirs, antiques and local handmade crafts – as well as handy swimming and snorkelling tools. There’s also a great selection of cafes and restaurants to enjoy some tasty fish for lunch or a plate of grilled meat for dinner.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.