Sometimes dubbed the Manhattan of Cairo, Zamalek is an upscale neighbourhood on a cosmopolitan island in the Nile. Its central location, foliage and huge amount of dining, nightlife and cultural venues make it a hotspot for Cairenes and expats of all ages. Walkable, green and flanked by the Nile on all sides, Zamalek offers plenty to see and do.
The best restaurants in Zamalek
An upscale part of town with plenty of well-off residents, Zamalek, unsurprisingly, attracts only the very best restaurateurs. You’ll find all sorts of cuisines and varying dining experiences across the neighbourhood.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Haute Japanese-Peruvian cuisine is on the menu at this decadent restaurant and bar. A little bit pricier than most establishments across Cairo (comparable to five-star hotel restaurant prices), this elegantly decorated spot is perfect for a treat or celebration. Try the miso black cod tacos, unagi foie gras tostadas and exotic cocktails for an experience that truly does justice to the concept of fusion food.
Recently opened by Michelin-star chef Carlo Adib, this Italian eatery offers first-class Neapolitan pizzas, fresh from a wood-fired oven in less than five minutes. With home-made pasta, burrata and arancini populating the menu, this is gourmet comfort food at its finest.
This relatively undiscovered spot (on the second floor of a monstrously big residential building) might seem a little sketchy, but it offers what’s largely considered the best and most authentic Thai cuisine in Egypt. Reasonably priced, casual and absolutely no-frills, Sabai Sabai has the seal of approval from the Thai government.
The best bars in Zamalek
Probably one of the few areas in Cairo where you can truly bar-hop on foot, Zamalek’s bar-to-resident ratio is very much in favour of those who like a cold beer and a stiff drink in equal measure.
A long-standing staple on the nightlife scene in Cairo, Aperitivo is tucked away on the first floor of a striking Art Deco building on 26 July Street. Equally gorgeous inside, this bustling bar revives the glamour and decadence of Egypt’s yesteryear; marble-topped tables, brass fixtures and crystal chandeliers give it a Great Gatsby vibe. It can get a little loud on weekends, but you can reserve a table on the restaurant side of the venue for a quieter, more relaxed experience.
A newcomer to the Zamalek scene, Monkey Bar is quickly gaining fans for its Instagrammable interior (look for the monkey-print wallpaper!), great mixology and concise food menu that pairs perfectly with a tipple. Its sangrias are some of the city’s favourites – try the white wine sangria and order the sherry-laced cheese fondue pot for a delicious night.
Proud owner of what’s probably the best view of the Nile in Zamalek, Crimson occupies a sprawling terrace right on the riverbank. A little bit on the pricier side, this fancy bar and grill comes alive after sunset when the city’s movers and shakers congregate for a cocktail or three. Its tapas-style bar bites are well worth a try, while you can opt for a massive T-bone steak if you’re feeling particularly ravenous.
Arts and culture in Zamalek
Zamalek’s proximity to Downtown Cairo, combined with its largely affluent residents (both historically and until this day), have made the neighbourhood a culture vulture’s dream. From historic estates to art galleries galore, as well as some of Egypt’s longest-standing cultural institutions, there’s plenty to soak up in this neighbourhood.
Built by an Egyptian aristocrat in 1907, Aisha Fahmy Palace was recently refurbished to its former decadence and opened to the public as an art gallery. Exhibitions change on a monthly basis, and even if nothing is on, the free-to-enter palace is well worth a visit – right on the Nile and with gorgeous interiors and stained-glass windows, it’s definitely eye candy and perfect for the ’gram.
Right on the Nile, El Sawy Culture Wheel is a multi-stage venue with events on almost every day. From chart-topping Egyptian pop bands to indie and underground artists, this space has cemented itself as music hub for all ages. Quieter events include all sorts of theatrical acts, puppet shows and arts classes – check its social media at the beginning of the month for the whole schedule.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.