When travellers think of Egypt, images of ancient tombs and pyramids in the desert come to mind. And while the country may be a haven for historical ruins and a window into an ancient civilisation, it’s also a food lover’s treasure trove. Egyptian cuisine is the country’s best-kept secret. Egyptians know how good it is, but to the rest of the world, it is still relatively unknown or overshadowed by the umbrella of Middle Eastern cuisine.
Bellies En-Route was created by two women, Laila Hassaballa and Mariam Nezar, out of their desire to share Egyptian food with the world. Food was their favourite way to explore a new place and learn about the culture. “We believe there’s more to food than just eating,” they state.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With limited food tours on offer in the city, Hassaballa and Nezar decided to start their own, especially after realising many travellers were apprehensive about how to approach locals and worried about being disrespectful of cultural norms.
Cairo, in particular, is the epicentre of all things Egyptian food. It has all the old-school tradition, alongside the innovations and invention of new food fusions and trends. A metropolis that is packed with plentiful restaurants and street food, Cairo is a delicious destination, but can be a little intimidating to visitors. Bellies En-Route takes visitors into the heart of downtown Cairo, helping them get familiar with and navigate the hectic streets. Through food, you will learn about the history, culture and spaces you are walking through.
The tours are walking tours, visiting five or more stops for food (savoury and sweet) and beverages, with an intimate group of six or seven people. There are two tours available, one for downtown Cairo and one for Heliopolis, a historic neighbourhood filled with family-run restaurants and monuments.
The types of foods on the tour include Egyptian staples like ful (fava bean stew) and falafel, which in Egypt is fava bean-based, and more homey dishes like koshary, a dish with rice, macaroni, lentils and a tomato-based sauce, molokhia (soup made with leafy greens) and macarona bel bechamel (jokingly referred to as, “Egyptian lasagne”). The tour also takes you behind the scenes in one of the kitchens to see how falafel gets made, which is consistently the favourite dish among tourers.
There are also street food favourites like feteer (a savoury or sweet stuffed pastry), hawawshi (a spiced meat-filled sandwich or pie) and more unusual things like salad water (an appetising herb-filled vinaigrette that you sip before the meal). All the dishes, however, are distinctly Egyptian and incredibly popular.
Beverages also make a large part of the tour and Egypt has so many interesting and delicious drinks to accompany your meal: juices that are thick and taste like the ripest fruit, teas including iced hibiscus and the digestive aid of mint, and Arabic coffee. Needless to say, you will be full and satiated by the end of the tour, but you will also be more knowledgeable about Egypt, its culture and its people.
Bellies En-route plan to expand to other cities soon.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.