Djibouti has many well kept secrets, including the Goubbet Al-Kharab (the Island of the Devil), the one gem that sparks every visitor’s curiosity and rekindles urban myths among locals. Here is everything you need to know before you visit the Island of the Devil.
History of the Island of the Devil
The Island of the Devil, referred to as Goubbet Al-Kharab among locals, is a cove in the middle of the Gulf of Tadjourah that is nestled on top of the unstable crustal meeting point between the African and the Arabian tectonic plates. A relentlessly windy area, the Goubbet is surrounded by lifeless and arid cliffs 600 meters high (1,969 feet), and is in the heart of an active volcano called Ardoukoba, lying in a thick bed of lava flows and volcanic dust.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Over the years the cove has made the news and featured in urban legends for its spectacular site, and is today mainly visited by curious divers and scientists for exploration. It is very common to encounter whales sharks here, especially during mating season. Massive aggregations can be observed and it is maybe due to this that the locals avoid fishing in the area. However, it is not the only reason, and curious myths have been developed over time.
Local communities’ beliefs, myths and legends
In one of his expeditions, the French explorer Jacques Cousteau seemingly discovered an indescribable maritime creature here, and insisted it never be revealed to humanity. Since then, locals and visitors alike have been nurturing and diffusing frightful stories about the Island of the Devil. According to local newspapers at the time, Cousteau and his team conducted an experiment to explore the depths of the Goubbet by submerging a camel carcass in a cage. To their surprise, as they took it out of the water, they discovered that the cage had been entirely smashed and deformed, resulting in the disappearance of the carcass.
Locals say that the bay is occupied by the “Sheytan”, the devil, and it is certainly a forbidden place to go, especially during sunsets or at night. It would be difficult to convince a Djiboutian fisherman to go into the bay because of this general belief. Going there will bring misfortune to some people. Many locals even believe that there was a time when a great fire-crowned mountain would disappear under a massive water invasion. Since then, it has been associated with terribly malefic stories revolving around demons that are thought to drag anyone daring to wander close into the profound abyss.
Today, as the images and videos that Cousteau claimed to have filmed have never been revealed, nobody rejects the plausible idea of the existence of giant manta rays or sharks. It is also thought that Cousteau didn’t present any proof simply because he had none! Maybe there were actually no videos or images of the fantastic creature he claimed to have found. Media outlets back in France and critics among the scientific community claim that he used this legend as a way to keep funding his pursuits.
How to get there
It is advisable to hire a boat in Djibouti City to get there and to do so when the winds are favorable. It is a difficult area to access because most fishermen and even technically trained personnel fear to navigate this region. However, there are a few tour companies, like Kayak Djibouti, which organize inland visits to Goubbet Al-Kharab and many other sites in Djibouti. Kayak Djibouti mainly provides for an overnight camping trip between the Arta Mountains and the Goubbet Al-Kharab, and this trip is definitely not for beginners in paddling because of the strong currents, dangerous waters, and associated legends. But take your time when deciding how best to visit Goubbet Al-Kharab, and be well informed before you book.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.