The Republic Congo is not often the most obvious choice for a vacation, but this small, Central African country is filled with beautiful exotic beaches that are yet to be discovered. If you are heading to Congo’s western coastal city, Pointe-Noire, you’ll need this concise list of the best beaches so you can relax and soak up the sun.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A long stretch of beautiful nature, Côte Sauvage is the jewel of Pointe-Noire. Good for surfing and long walks, it’s the perfect place to just sit and breathe. Local and modern international restaurants and bars are dotted along the road and vary in price. The best food served here is obviously seafood. The beach is regularly cleaned, so it’s always a pleasure to visit, however you should avoid going at night when it’s deserted and unlit. Sundays also tend to get very busy, but whatever the time and whatever the day, it’s always a good place to relax with a beer. It should be noted that the sea can be quite rough with very strong currents, so even if you’re strong swimmer be advised to stay close to the shore.
Mvassa is one of the most beautiful beaches also situated in the south of the city of Pointe-Noire, on one end of the Côte Sauvage. This beautiful beach is often less-visited, most likely because of its small size. Because this part of the coast is sheltered, this beach is known as a surfer’s spot, but is also a great place for swimming and diving. To access this beach it is recommended you take a 4×4 car as the road to Mvassa tends can be very sandy.
Côte Mondaine is located in south-west Ndili and Loandjili in the north-west of Pointe-Noire. This quiet location is still popular as it is located close to the city centre and is sheltered by the bay. The beach is located across from the popular restaurant La Pyramid, as well as other great luxury spots such as Villa Madiba and Palm Beach. Côte Mondaine beach is breathtakingly beautiful. Take a walk along the beach at sunrise for the most perfect view of the sparkling sea water. This beach does not have any trees for shade but does offer a beautiful view of golden sand and is often empty during the week, though it can get a little crowded over weekends and during holidays.
This lovely stretch of sandy beach is located next to Mabindou in Kouloui 19km north of Pointe-Noire. This is a great place to visit if you’re hoping to get out of the city for the day. It is a popular destination and often filled with locals over the weekends, with several hotels and restaurants nearby. During the week you’re likely to have the place almost entirely to yourself, so take advantage of the fact that this beach is definitely the perfect spot for an afternoon swim or surf trip.
La Baie de Loango
Loango Bay is one of the few rocky areas of the Congolese coast, with the waters sheltered from strong currents. This particular beach is filled with a cluster of rocks. Thus, throughout the year, a large population of sea turtles, mainly juvenile green turtles, hawksbill, olive and leatherback turtles are concentrated in this area. Loango Bay is also a historic site of the slave trade. It was one of the main doors for where colonisers embarked on the forced exile of slaves.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.