Congolese markets are a favorite location for those who love to shop. With the most affordable prices and bargain-friendly vendors, this is the place you need to visit for a full day of retail therapy.
Located in the heart of Brazzaville, Poto Poto Market is one of the most popular and largest markets in the Republic of Congo. With hundreds of boutiques and street vendors offering a variety of services, this market is not only recognized for its amenities, but it is also well known for accommodating street vendors from diverse nationalities. Here’s a few things to see and do when visiting.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Purchase African print fabrics
African prints are common materials for clothing in Congo and Africa in general. Poto Poto Market offers a variety of African print fabrics ranging in colour, brand and size. If you’re a fan of tribal prints, you will be sure to find not only fabrics, but also handmade bags, clothing, shoes, and many other items that use African print fabrics.
Taste local street foods
You cannot miss out on indulging in some local delicacies. Cheap, tasty, and quickly-prepared street food is offered by vendors dotted throughout the market. There is a variety of choice on offer, ranging from spicy pork chops to a bunch of healthy and refreshing fruit. The choice is yours.
Purchase natural homemade products
Like most cultures, Africans throughout history have discovered and adopted various natural remedies. Whether you are in search of the perfect natural skin products or contemplating trying out local homemade products such as African black soap, shea butter or coconut oil, this market never runs out of stock and there are many vendors selling their wares throughout the market.
Buy traditional jewels
If you are a lover of jewellery then you might be interested in purchasing a few of these: waist beads, necklaces, ankle bracelets or just a pair of unique earrings, handmade and inspired by different cultures from Nigeria, Mali and Ivory Coast. The market is filled with an array of unique, African-inspired jewels.
Get your hair done
The market is also known as the home of many talented hair stylists, waiting for customers out on the street corners. They stand waiting and hoping to win the trust of potential clients and to work their magic. If you are interested in getting African-inspired braids, such as cornrows, box braids, bantu knots, or any other style, you will most likely be pleased with the hairstylists at Poto Poto Market. Customers can also purchase wigs and weaves varying in colour and texture.
Go retail shopping in a boutique
As shoppers approach the boutique entrances in Poto Poto Market, they are often overwhelmed by all the clothing options available. Varying from vintage to high fashion or hipster, the choice can be a hard one. There are over a hundred boutiques throughout the market with as many fashion choices to be bargained over.
Just take a stroll
Whether you are interested in finding good local bargains or just strolling through for some window shopping, this market is big enough to get lost and just explore the authenticity of Congolese life. Take your time to soak up the charm, and take in the vibrant colours and chaotic streets of Poto Poto Market.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.