Kiosks (known as ‘quiosques’ in Portuguese) are outdoor bars nestled between Copacabana’s promenade and the beach that serve food and drinks to the sounds of live music all day and into the night. They have a special charm that sleeker, more formal restaurants tend to lack, and the combination of the salty air and a steady flow of fruity caipirinhas opens a window into the best of Rio’s culture. We round-up the some of Copacabana’s must-visit kiosks.
Arguably one of the most famous kiosks in Copacabana, Globo Kiosk was built by Brazilian TV and news network Globo to interact with residents and tourists by broadcasting live shows from Globo on the TVs within the kiosk. There are various activities going on there throughout the day from live reporting and live music, to zumba and yoga classes. There’s also a bar that serves chilled beers and classic caipirinhas as well as simple snacks. Engaging and entertaining, this kiosk is not one to be missed.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located right next to Pedra de Leme (Leme Rock), this kiosk is one of the fancier ones for its food and drinks, as well as superb visuals. Being right down at the far end of the beach gives a wide view all across Copacabana’s long, curving beach. Its speciality is espettos (hence the name) which are wooden skewers speared with food before being roasted. Embrace the Brazilian culture by trying a chicken heart skewer, a typical snack in Brazil, although there are plenty of traditional options too such as meat and cheese.
Skol 360 Copacabana
One of the more edgy kiosks with live music and a buzzing atmosphere, it draws in the crowds after the sun goes down as beach-goers head over for some chilled beers, typical kiosk foods and some hip-shaking music. The food is usually dried meats, pastels, sea foods, and sandwiches, the perfect bites to wind-down with some drinks and friends. The music varies between traditional samba and forro, to international rock and pop music. For New Year’s Eve, this kiosk holds exclusive parties with open bar and food for a fixed price, and one of the best seats in the Copacabana house for the ultimate view of the fireworks.
Pizza in a Cone
Whilst the name may not have a Brazilian ring to it, everything else about this kiosk is typically carioca with chilled beers, shore-side location and the occasional live samba or forro band. One distinct difference with this kiosk is what it serves food-wise and the reason behind its more unusual name; a pizza base wrap up into a cone and filled with melted cheese, tomato and whatever other filling tickles your fancy. The classic Margareti and Calabresa are the two most popular choices. Fun atmosphere, satisfying food and icy cold beers ticks all the right boxes for a great kiosk.
Av. Atlântica, 137 – Copacabana, RJ, Brazil, +55 21 7836-5917
Gosto de Mar
‘The taste of the Sea’, as the kiosk’s name translates to, truly lives up to its title with its speciality lying in fresh seafood, caught on the day and served fresh at the table. There’s even a crab tank that has live crabs caught that morning. The layout of the kiosk is quirky compared to others around with straw and wooden decor, lounge chairs that spill out onto the sand and personal touches such as ornaments and wall hangings with sea life imagery. The live music suits a range of musical preferences from rock to house, drawing in a unique mix of people all throughout the week.
Avenida Atlântic, Copacabana, RJ, Brazil (in front of Rua Siqueira Campos), +55 21 2549-7546
By Sarah Brown
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.