Whether in a botanic garden or organically in Tijuca National Park, Rio de Janeiro has stunning plant and animal life along with mesmerizing views and natural wonders. Take a boat on Guanabara Bay or check out a UNESCO-listed biosphere with these 10 outdoor tours that highlight Rio’s natural beauty.
Rio de Janeiro is bordered on the south by the Atlantic Ocean and contains within it the largest urban forest in the world. Suffice it to say, the city is filled with opportunities to see some natural beauty. Whether riding in a Jeep, walking on foot, biking or rafting, these excursions offer the chance to get out of the museums and on an adventure. Experience the lush plant life in Tijuca National Park, the stunning rushing waters of the Jequitibá Waterfall and the thrilling optical illusion of the Pedra do Telégrafo cliff on these 10 outdoor tours.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is an amazing opportune to see the beauty of Rio de Janeiro from a unique angle and an exclusive vibe. We sail passing close by the Fortress of São José, Fortress Lage, and Fortes Santa Cruz, in the direction to Island of Boa Viagem in Niterói. We also pass by the Museum of Contemporary Art and come back with the amazing view of the sunset in the front of the boat. All the way we have Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer in the horizon of the scenery. The tour finishes by getting the best of the Sunset. In total we will have 3 hours of cruise. We also make part of the itinerary one stop to swim at Adão e Eva beach. In the price of the tour is included a complete packet of drinks with fresh-made Caipirinhas, Sparkling White Wine, Bier, Juice, Coke and Water. The drinks are followed by snacks and finger foods that combine in the perfect way. We receive a maximum of 14 passengers on board; that makes the tour really exclusive.
Spend half a day sailing on Guanabara Bay, for the most beautiful views of Rio de Janeiro with Sugar Loaf Mountain towering in the distance. Pass the bay’s islands and forts as you cruise the idyllic waters. From the water you can see Rio’s downtown, cruise just below planes landing in Santos Dumont Airport, see the Museum of Tomorrow, go under the Niterói Bridge and see the lovely beaches from Rio’s sister city, as well as seeing the famous Oscar Niemeyer Museum. The Guanabara Bay Cruise includes roundtrip transportation from your Rio de Janeiro hotel. An optional all you can eat barbecue lunch is also available on your return, in a local Rio restaurant.
Hike through the Tijuca National Park on this 3-hour tour. Stop at a refreshing natural lagoon to slide down and swim in the waterfall. Learn the secrets of a tropical jungle and experience be in the second biggest urban forest in the world. Tour also offers complimentary hotel pick up and drop off.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.