As the holidays approach, it’s time to let the Christmas shopping commence. For someone that loves Brazil and all things Brazilian, Culture Trip has compiled a list of 20 items that will transport them straight back to the country and give them a little reminder of its beautiful beaches, stunning scenery and contagious essence.
Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream
To get that Brazilian bum bum (or butt as it’s known outside of Brazil), Sol de Janeiro swears by its Bum Bum Cream that nourishes the butt to make it soft, scented and perkier. It’s widely known that the butt is Brazil’s favorite physical asset — so help a loved one get Brazilian beach ready. Price: $45
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
No foot is appropriately dressed on the beaches of Brazil without a pair of Havaianas. It may be cold and wintry across the pond but bring a bit of warmth with a pair of Brazil’s most beloved brand of flip-flops. They can totally be worn with socks around the house — it is Christmas after all. Price: $16 – $30
Café Pilão is one of the number one brands of coffee in Brazil, sold in all of its supermarkets and found in the cupboard of most coffee fans throughout Brazil. It is widely considered that Brazil has some of the best coffee in the world so bring a Brazilian breakfast vibe to the table and wake up to a delicious, steaming mug of Brazilian coffee. Price: from $8
Doce de Leite
This popular sweet is like a creamy fudge and can be found all over South America (in Spanish-speaking countries, it is known as dulce de leche). Doce de Leite can be eaten inside cakes as a filling, on top of cakes as a topping, drizzled over fruits and ice cream or simply eaten straight out of the tub with a spoon. Price: $8
Brazil-themed Phone Case
For the person who is both phone-addicted and Brazil-addicted, combine two loves in one go with a Brazilian themed phone case. There are plenty of designs available, but this one is a design of the Brazilian flag in a vintage style that not only stylishly personalizes the iPhone, but protects it, too. Price: $8
No dance better captures Brazil’s lively and sensual spirit than samba, and for those that love both dancing and Brazil, samba classes are the perfect gift. As Brazil becomes increasingly globalized, samba classes are popping up in all the major cities in the world, celebrating both Brazilian culture and health; search on Yelp to find classes near you. Price: from $10 a package upwards.
Photo Book of Brazil
Transport someone back to Brazil from the comfort of their home by submerging them in the impressive and stunning imagery of Brazil. This photo book captures the culture, architecture, wildlife and landscapes that have won over the hearts of so many people that have visited or have been exposed to Brazilian life through a series of glossy, dynamic photos. Price: $2
Dancing with the Devil in the City of God Book
For a more gritty book that is informative, meaty and delivers a close examination of life and society in Rio de Janeiro, then Dancing with the Devil in the City of God: Rio de Janeiro and the Olympic Dream is the one. Author Juliana Barbassa takes readers through a journey that investigates the modern evolution of Rio, providing a thoroughly fascinating account for anyone that wants to get beneath the surface of Brazil’s beloved city. Price: from $10
Bossa Nova Brasil CD
For anyone even remotely interested or curious about bossa nova, a genre of Brazilian music that came about in the late 1960s, this CD is the perfect gift. With classic and rare songs from bossa nova legends such as Gal Costa, Elis Regina, João Gilberto, Tom Jobim and Caetano Veloso, Bossa Nova Brasil relives some of the best musical greats from Brazil. Price: $9
Adopt a Brazilian Animal
The Worldwide Fund For Nature has several at-a-distance adoption schemes that provide a gift pack built around a specific animal for a fee that is used to support ongoing protection projects in the Amazon and other delicate natural habitats. For animal lovers, some animals available for adoption that are native to Brazil include the macaw, the tapir, the black jaguar, the golden lion tamarin and the giant anteater. Price: $55
A Box of Brigadeiros
Brigadeiros are classic Brazilian sweets and this box of them captures all of their chocolatey goodness. Brigadeiros are like chocolate truffles smothered in chocolate sprinkles, yet there are variations to include white chocolate and coconut flavors. Treat someone to a delicious throwback to Brazil. Price: from $15
Brazilian coffee drinkers will need a mug to drink their coffee from, so how about a mug with a Brazilian design on it? Whilst there are loads of designs and styles on Amazon, this simple black and white design with ‘Keep Calm and Love Brazil’ on the side sums up that longing for Brazil in a nutshell. Price: $13
Caipirinhas are the national cocktails of Brazil and anyone that loves Brazil, will probably love caipirinhas. A caipirinha kit is a great gift that is partly homemade: Buy a good quality cachaça, the national spirit of Brazil. This site has a great selection. Then, simply add a bag of limes, a bag of sugar and a lemon squeezer and presto, you have a caipirinha kit. Price: cachaça from $30
DVD Boys from Brazil (football)
For football fans out there, this is the ultimate gift. The Brazilian football team is widely regarded one of the best in the world, producing talented players that showcase skills to perfection. The Boys from Brazil DVD shows plenty of original footage, an examination of great players and lots of incredible goals. Price: $4
Subscription to The Rio Times
The Rio Times is a Brazilian newspaper written in English that delivers news topics from all around Brazil, especially Rio de Janeiro. For those that love Brazil but live far away, an annual subscription can keep them up to date on all the latest news coming from the country, from business and politics to events and expat news. Price: $50
Perhaps the next best thing to being on the beaches in Brazil is at least having the right swimwear for the occasion. Brazilian brand Salinas have a wide choice of gorgeous bikinis that are typically Brazilian style with thong-bottoms and bright colors. For men, there are plenty of sungas — tight, fitted trunks that are common on the Brazilian beaches. Price: from $45
Oscar Niemeyer’s Buildings book
Oscar Niemeyer is a famous Brazilian architect, widely regarded as being at the forefront of modern architecture. For anyone that is fascinated by buildings and loves Brazil, Oscar Niemeyer Buildings pays tribute to Niemeyer’s incredible masterpieces throughout Brazil in a series of images and texts. Price: $20
The Brazilian Kitchen Cookbook
One thing that can truly trigger fond memories of places is food. The Brazilian Kitchen: 100 Classic and Creative Recipes for the Home Cook is a perfect gift to dive into the classic meals and bites from Brazil that present both traditional dishes such as feijoada and Brazilian cheese bread, but also the chef’s take on Brazilian recipes that shows an innovative flair. Price: $17
What better way to show love for something than to publicly announce it and a Brazilian themed jacket will do exactly that. A jacket for the winter is far more practical than a T-shirt, and this beauty is a Brazil track jacket in bright colors, a sporty vibe yet versatile. It’s great for football fans but works for anyone that loves all things Brazil. Price: $30
Brazilian Beach Towel
This Brazilian beach towel doubles up as two gifts: a large material Brazilian flag to hang up on the wall or throw over a sofa as a decorative piece, and a beach towel (its original purpose) for holidays, trips to the beach or even a picnic in the park. This particular towel has been imported from Brazil and is the same as the ones the beach vendors sell on the beaches in Rio. Price: $13
By Sarah Brown
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.