Finding good vegetarian and vegan food in South America can be challenging, and Bolivia is no exception. However, do not fear! The plant-friendly lifestyle is slowly starting to catch on among Bolivia’s more cosmopolitan youth, and a small selection of excellent meat-free restaurants have sprouted up to meet demand. Say goodbye to side salads and tired falafel sandwiches, as our local insiders know where to find the most delicious veggie options in La Paz.
This long-standing vegetarian and vegan restaurant is a hippy oasis in the central working-class neighborhood of San Pedro. You can tell there is an artist and DJ at the helm, with groovy psychedelic murals decorating the leafy back section. The crowds come for the three-course vegan almuerzo (lunch) of national, fusion and international dishes. An extensive list of teas and fresh juices will set you right any time of day. Come for the friendly, chilled-out vibe and stay for the vegan tucumanas. Recommended by local insider Shaina Brassard
Bolivia has joined the healthy junk-food revolution with this friendly spot in the heart of Sopocachi. Carnivores and herbivores alike join the queue for the tasty quinoa burgers and gluten-free yucca nuggets – it’s comfort food to the max. Soups, salads and paninis make up the rest of the menu with ingredients sourced locally as much as possible. Recommended by local insider Andrea Puente Mancilla
The plates at Bolivia Green Kitchen are piled high with fresh, healthy ingredients – sometimes just what you need when on the road. Expect the usual fare of sandwiches, burgers and salads prepared with thought, care and nutrition in mind. Try the Ceviche Andino, with hearts of palm, sweet potato, corn, toasted beans and coriander. The juices and smoothies are just what the doctor ordered, but if you want a treat, the fruit salad comes drizzled with white chocolate sauce. Recommended by local insider Andrea Puente Mancilla
Deep in the Sopocachi neighborhood, in the business district, this is the place to people-watch and mingle with La Paz workers grabbing lunch. It serves up a vegetarian buffet as part of a weigh-then-pay scheme,so you can choose exactly what you want from the large selection on offer. Everything is handily labeled so you know what you’re getting. If you don’t, that’s also fun, right? Good, clean food with a hallowed, non-dairy dessert always on offer – vegans rejoice. Recommended by local insider Lucas Cosentino
Lupito, named after the owner’s rescue dog, is committed to promoting the rights and care of animals. They do all that and serve up, frankly, banging food. With a daily changing menu of soups, empanadas, rice and veggie dishes, you’re guaranteed to find something that tickles your fancy. Located in a converted front room, the vibe is friendly and cosy, and the dishes are very reasonably priced. The mushroom anticuchos, a typical street food dish served on a skewer, are a must-try, as is the selection of cakes. Recommended by local insider Andrea Puente Mancilla
Carla, chef and owner of Aguacate, is a titan in the La Paz vegan food game. One of the first to champion the movement in the city, her food is beloved by meat-eaters and vegans equally – one trip to Aguacate and you’ll see why. The set menu, designed according to the seasons, is filled with animal-friendly classics like seitan nuggets. The chocolate and quinoa brownie topped with an almond, oat and cocoa frosting, is a trip straight to heaven. Recommended by local insider Andrea Puente Mancilla
Are we in London’s Soho, or New York’s Brooklyn? You could easily get confused in Café Vida, as it is trendy with a capital T. Colorful plates are filled with beautiful looking and tasting vegan and vegetarian food. With a strong influence from Andean cuisine, a lot of the ingredients are from the region, and they rustle up dishes to please all palates. The burritos are on another level and come with gluten-free options. Enjoy your smoothie bowl with courtyard views and a sense of joy. Recommended by local insider Lucas Cosentino
A renowned café and cultural space, MagicK is also a prime destination for those craving a healthy and delicious vegetarian feast. This huge former house in the trendy Sopocachi neighborhood boasts a variety of different dining spaces, each with their own unique decor and ambience. MagicK’s extensive vegetarian menu include salads, curries and tofu burgers, while an exquisite sushi platter is an excellent option for pescatarians.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Harry Stewart
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.