With its staggering topography, dizzying altitude and vibrant cultural activity, La Paz is a beautiful and fun place to visit. The expansive cityscape stretches across mountainsides and valleys, against a stunning backdrop of snow-capped peaks. A hotspot for tourists and backpackers, this Bolivian city comes alive after sunset with a thriving nightlife. Our insiders have got the goods, so see below for the local scoop.
Unique city views from the top floor of the Europa Hotel (the stairs are worth it, we promise) make this an unmissable offering in La Paz. The view makes the city feel cosmopolitan. Often missed even by those staying at the hotel, this place is often quiet, making it a tranquil spot to escape the crowds and have a quiet drink with friends. Recommended by local insider Andrea Puente Mancilla
Named after the Bolivian area code, +591 Bar, on the seventh floor of the Atix Hotel, is passionate about the homeland with cocktails inspired by the flavors, cultures and stories of Bolivia. Try the San Mateo of vodka, grapefruit soda, cherry juice, lemon and bitters, or the Singani Sour with lemon, sugar, bitters and egg white. Take a tour of the hotel’s art exhibitions, or just head straight for a seat at the poolside bar. Recommended by local insider Andrea Puente Mancilla
In Sopocachi, you’ll find magic(k). Heralded as one of Bolivia’s coolest cafés, this spot has a team dedicated to using local and national ingredients to create a balanced menu of international and Bolivian dishes. The menu is as colorful and thoughtful as the laidback, fun decor. The food is spot-on, with sourdough bread making up the sandwiches, and salads with quinoa and amaranth to make you feel good. Don’t be surprised if you swing by for an evening drink and find a flamenco show or local band performing. Recommended by local insider Andrea Puente Mancilla
This spot has pizzas with a Bolivian flair and good cocktails from the wizard behind the bar. Enjoy your classic margarita pizza with views of the Illimani mountain – the views here rock. Close to Mirador Kili Kili, the Tata Café Pizza Bar is a great place to grab a bite before your trip up, or reward yourself with a cocktail afterwards. Recommended by local insider Andrea Puente Mancilla
Bolivians love dancing, drinking and live music, and Selina serves up all three with panache. This spot has colorful art on the walls, a global clientele thanks to the hostel upstairs, and a host of local musicians bring music to tap your feet or dance to until the 4am curfew. The cocktail menu is extensive, with local spirits taking pride of place, allowing you to travel Bolivia via your tastebuds. A wide variety of folk drink here, making it easy to strike up a conversation at the bar with your (new) friends. Recommended by local insider Shania Brassard
Malegria brings the vibes to La Paz, and it’s a hotspot for the city’s movers and shakers. It’s packed with dancers from midnight each evening, so the drinks and music will always be flowing. With an ever-changing roster of events, head here on a Thursday for the Afro-Bolivian saya and dance the night away! When you’ve worked up a hunger, the pizzas are top-notch and the bartender artfully blends the freshest flavors with the best liqueurs into, frankly, divine cocktails. Recommended by local insider Sabrina Morreale
This is an update of an article by Shaahin Pishbin
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.