Expats find themselves settling in Bolivia for a number of reason, from falling in love with a local to accepting an exciting new work contract. Most end up in one of its two biggest cities, La Paz or Santa Cruz; each with their own distinct advantages and disadvantages. Read on to learn the pros and cons of these two Bolivian cities, to help you decide which one is right for you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Many people are drawn to La Paz for the undeniable beauty of its surrounding mountains. The city has plenty of treks through isolated highland wilderness right up its doorstep, many of which can be done during a weekend escape. Indigenous culture also thrives in this vibrant city where you can expect to interact with traditionally dressed cholitas on a daily basis. La Paz sees more youthful and temporary expats as well as a huge number of backpackers, which makes for some crazy nightlife and a thriving tourism sector. The cost of living is also very low throughout the city.
The altitude is a major drawback to living in La Paz. Most people adapt well enough but older expats may suffer ongoing health issues. The city is also pretty cold throughout the year and never really has a proper summer. Traffic and constant protests are an annoyance, making it difficult to move around the city at times.
Santa Cruz is Bolivia’s economic powerhouse, meaning better job prospects with international companies who pay higher salaries. The city is much hotter than La Paz, which is preferable for those who prefer warmer climates. Santa Cruz is also more modern and westernized, with a growing number of American franchises popping up throughout the city to provide home comforts. The locals, on the whole, are more friendly and outgoing too. There are some good nearby nature reserves although they’re tropical rather than mountainous.
It gets stinking hot in summer, therefore air conditioning is an absolute must. The tourism industry is underdeveloped throughout the region so expect very few visitors. The city is fairly unremarkable in a visual sense, with many tourists complaining of it being dull or boring. Violent crime is much higher than elsewhere in the country and residents also complain about inadequate waste management.
La Paz and Santa Cruz are both great places to live but its also worth considering other Bolivian locales as well. Cochabamba is a medium sized city with a perfect climate but it does have problems with air pollution and water shortages. The beautiful colonial city of Sucre is aesthetically pleasing though quite small with limited work opportunities. Tarija is an ultra-relaxed small city with a Mediterranean feel that lacks big city services and infrastructure. Coroico and Samaipata are beautiful little foreigner-friendly towns for those looking to escape big city life.
The best advice for those planning to settle in Bolivia is to spend a bit of time in each place and see for yourself which city is right for you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.