Located in the heart of New Zealand’s North Island, Lake Taupo is a gorgeous spot to take in the country’s stunning scenery. Whether you’re rolling over the lush green hills from Rotorua along the Thermal Explorer Highway or you’re on a downhill slope from the spectacular Tongariro National Park, you’ll have gotten a glimpse of the huge lake in Taupo. Here are five different ways to experience one of the world’s greatest lakes.
Take a hike
Tongariro National Park, Lake Taupo’s illustrious neighbour to the southwest, steals most of the hiking plaudits in the region; however, there are several lovely hiking trails dotted around Taupo itself that are well worth checking out. The most famous of these is the hike from Taupo to Huka Falls, which takes just over an hour and leads you along the banks of the Waikato River. If you fancy getting a bit more off the beaten track, however, have a go at the hike to Tieke Falls. This hike’s starting point is a car park just over the bridge from Waihaha River, along the SH-32. The trek will take between three and four hours in total, with spectacular views of the waterfall at the end.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the air
As the North Island’s adrenaline capital, Lake Taupo has plenty of ways to experience the area from the air, as well as when you are hurtling back down towards Earth. As one of the world’s most popular skydiving locations, Lake Taupo offers dives from 2,743, 3,658 and 4,572 metres (9,000, 12,000 and 15,000 feet). At any of these heights, you are treated to coast-to-coast panoramas and stunning views of the snowy peaks of the Tongariro National Park.
For those not sure about jumping out of a plane, another option in the area is a bungee jump. It certainly doesn’t have the views offered from 2,743m (9,000ft), but it’s certainly going to get your heart pumping.
For those who want to experience Lake Taupo from the air at a more sedate pace, parasailing is a great option. With Mount Tauhara to the east and Mount Tongariro, Ruapehu and Ngauruhoe to the west, parasailers are surrounded by stunning scenery as they drift along, 244m (800ft) above the lake.
On the water
The lake itself is the reason why the vast majority of people are here, and the area has numerous cruises that will take you to the spectacular Māori carvings, chiselled into the rock in the 1970s by master carver Matahi Whakataka-Brightwell. If you fancy cranking it up a notch and are in the mood to explore, then hire a boat yourself and sail around the lake. Find a deserted alcove, a hidden beach on the northern shore or another secluded part of Lake Taupo where you can sit back and take it all in.
On the road
New Zealand is a travel destination that truly optimises the statement, “It’s not about the journey; it’s about the destination.” Any road trip in New Zealand will bring you alongside some incredible scenery, and experiencing Lake Taupo by car offers you exactly that. Follow SH1 along the southern shores of Lake Taupo, and drive towards Tongariro National Park. This route will take you to a number of gorgeous hidden beaches where you can relax with a book, take a cheeky dip or throw down a picnic blanket. If you’re lucky enough to be on this road around dusk, the sunsets are truly breathtaking.
Get in the saddle
A perfect location for a bike ride, the famous Great Lake Trail skirts along the shores of Lake Taupo and offers riders some pretty amazing views en route. Winding around the lake, this intermediate, all-seasons path features forest and wetlands, waterfalls, beaches, a volcanic gorge and ever-changing panoramas. The full trail can be completed over two days; however, it is possible to access smaller sections of it if you have less time to spare. If you don’t have a bike in New Zealand, then head over to the Taupo information site, which will be able to put you in touch with the best places to rent one.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.