Christchurch is home to more than just Botanic Gardens and trams. Although many of its central buildings were devastated by the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes, the Garden City bounced back with innovations including the Cardboard Cathedral and Te Papa Ōtākaro Arts Trail. From there, you’re only a day trip away from the hiking trails of Arthur’s Pass National Park and the Banks Peninsula and the vineyards of Waipara and Waitaki. After a long day, unwind at one of these top places to stay in Christchurch, New Zealand – bookable with Culture Trip.
This luxury Christchurch boutique hotel boasts five stars – but cards on the table, we’d stay there if it had just one. Between the library and the well-tended garden with sea views, it’s hard to envision a better place to sit, read and relax than in this Edwardian-era home close to Victoria Park. A night in the light-filled rooms followed by a breakfast spread of fruits, baked goods and charcuterie will get you refuelled and refreshed for a day lost in a good book.
It’s hard to see Bellano as just a motel – roll into the parking lot, three minutes out of the city centre and note the sleek condo vibe. The interior is no different: the light and airy rooms with jet black furniture, double spa baths and quiet terraces feel like a step above most boutique hotels in Christchurch. The windows have double-glazed hush glass for crying out loud – so if your neighbour did such a thing, you wouldn’t hear a peep.
Planted in a quiet residential area 10km (6mi) outside the city centre, this Christchurch hotel features lovely, light-filled rooms that overlook flower-filled gardens. Fuel up on fruit and cereal so you can have your fill of fun in the city, whether skydiving, whale watching, or wandering the Styx Mill Conservation Reserve across the street. A game of darts and a soak in the hot tub should end the night perfectly.
When it comes to boutique hotels in Christchurch, Distinction certainly stands apart where family travellers are concerned. Its blue-toned family suites give kids and parents exactly what they want. The little ones will have their own bedroom and a smart TV and we’re not sure what the adults will appreciate more: the minibar or the fact that they can savour peace and quiet in their own space. You may struggle to drag yourself out for the short walk to the Avon River and the Botanic Gardens, but an ice cream in the hotel restaurant should tempt you down.
Run by a local couple in the suburb of Fendalton, this ultra-modern hotel has an intimate vibe. Resembling a white sugar cube, it houses just three suites, which blend plush, padded headboards and shiny lamps with the odd antique-style clock. Due to its compact size, the hotel feels like a private home, particularly when you’re curled up with a book by the fireplace or tucking into creamy tomato pasta on the deck in the immaculate garden. Luxurious touches include valet parking and a crepe menu at breakfast.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Amy Blyth.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For more options, discover our guide to the best boutique hotels in Christchurch and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.