If there’s one place in New Zealand that knows how to do boutique accommodation, it’s Taupo. The area is home to gorgeous retreats, set in the hills, deep in the countryside and even in the midst of the township. Come take a look at some of the best hotels in Taupo.
Huka Lodge is a luxurious five-star retreat on the banks of the Waikato River, with the mighty Huka Falls just upstream. Guests can enjoy a selection 22 rooms: 18 river-facing Junior Cottage Suites, one spacious Double Lodge Suite, the self-contained Owner’s Cottage and the private Alan Pye Cottage. The lodge, founded in the 1920s, has a reputation for its hospitable setting and all-round elegant facilities, winning numerous awards and welcoming some high-power guests over the years (think European royals, government officials and Hollywood celebrities).
This chic accommodation, surrounded by stunning lake and mountain views, sits on the hills above Acacia Bay, overlooking Lake Taupo, making it an ideal getaway for those seeking a bit of privacy. Four luxury ensuite rooms, designed to accommodate up to eight, create a sense of intimacy in a lavish setting. Those who are privileged enough to stay at Acacia Cliffs are treated to a complimentary bottle of wine on arrival, as well as chef-prepared breakfasts and pre-dinner canapés and drinks. The hotel offers an airport transfer service for those who need it.
At Serenity on Wakeman, a bed and breakfast in Acacia Bay, enjoy the best sights in town – you’ll have 180-degree views of Lake Taupo, with native bushland stretching for miles in the other direction. Designed to be as the name suggests, the rooms at Serenity on Wakeman are fitted with spa baths and private balconies, while only the sounds of neighbouring tui birds and lapping waves are in earshot. If you fancy adventure, boating, fishing and hiking destinations are minutes away by car.
Chalet Eiger is a tranquil Acacia Bay retreat with elegant European flair. It offers a small selection – there are only four rooms, so it’s an intimate experience, with balconies, alcoves and plenty of luxurious perks. Guests can also enjoy a number of homely additions, including the spacious communal lounge area with a roaring Finnish soapstone fireplace, a library and the hotel’s fabulous home-cooked dinners.
Head to the idyllic Mine Bay to find the indulgent Point Villas. Choose between one of two self-catering, lake-facing getaways: the sunny Tatamoana Villa or the soothing Ngahere Villa. Both have been fitted with original artworks, classic oak furnishings and stylish leather lounge suites. Each villa also opens up to its own terrace with a swimming pool and barbecue area.
The Pillars Retreat is a boutique bed and breakfast with a Mediterranean touch, a stunning country manor, in a lush garden setting, that beckons its guests to relish the peace and tranquility of the four suites here. The luxurious rooms are all located on the upper floor and provide excellent views of the countryside. The Pillars Retreat is also committed to being eco-friendly, sourcing eggs and produce from its own farm whenever possible and making practically all breakfast foods (jams and muesli included) from scratch.
The Lake is a retro-themed boutique motel at the heart of the Taupo township. Six rooms, all located on the ground floor, invite the motel’s guests to relish the “good old days” in style. There’s a ’60s suite, two ’70s suites, a Courtyard unit, as well as the Queen and Twin Studios. Artwork and modern furnishings come together in crafting each room’s comfortable and jovial ambiance. The Lake Motel offers such a unique, homely experience that it is the only New Zealand accommodation of its kind to have been featured in Home and Styling magazine – one of the country’s leading design publications.
A quiet haven set in a wonderful, park-like setting, Whakaipo Lodge features two guest suites, lined with New Zealand-made art and fitted with modern furnishings and new bedding. Rooms can accommodate up to two guests and there is a spare bedroom for larger travelling parties. Warm hospitality adds to the sense of pampering, with gourmet breakfasts, complimentary drinks and airport drop-offs included in all guest packages.
Additional reporting by Molly Codyre
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.