A city nestled between three harbours, Auckland has some of New Zealand’s best beaches and shorelines. From beaches with amazing views of the Hauraki Gulf and Rangitoto Island to the rugged cliffs and striking black sands of Piha Beach. Here is our selection of exceptional beaches to explore in the area.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This white-sand beach is a favourite among surfers and kayakers because of its reliable bar break and exposed shoreline with regular waves. Pakiri Beach’s charm comes from its lack of development: the beach only has one small café and shop on the sand, with lots of untouched and natural space. As well as water sports enthusiasts, the beach draws its share of ramblers, as there are many kilometres of sandy and rocky trails available for a relaxed walk in the sun. On the coastline to the southeast of Wellsford, there is camping accommodation available nearby the beach for those who want to stay overnight and make the most of Pakiri Beach’s early-morning rock fishing spots.
As Auckland’s most popular beach village, Mission Bay is full of shoreline activities and attractions to explore. Located in the heart of Auckland, this bustling hub is full of places to eat, drink, shop and relax. Head to Good George Craft House Mission Bay for a drink in the sunshine, or to Dos Amigos Cantina for great Mexican food and cocktails. Next to the harbour, Mission Bay is a popular sailing spot. On a walk down the beach you will spot many different types of boats out on the water, from personal speedboats to private yachts. Closer to the shoreline, the beach is also a great place to try your hand at surfing, as the waves here are more forgiving than at other nearby beach breaks.
Any Auckland surfer worth their salt will know about Piha Beach, a rugged coastline to the west of the city with dramatic black sands and amazing clifftop views. The water here can often have strong and potentially dangerous currents, but its waves are the most reliably surfable in the area. Local lifeguards patrol the shoreline each day and swimmers should make sure to remain in the safe marked area of the beach. Surrounded by two rugged cliffs and a forest, Piha Beach offers an excellent array of outdoor activities. From daily surfing lessons to rock climbing, waterfall walks and even abseiling down the side of Piha Canyon, this is not a beach just for sunbathing on the sand and reading.
Ladies Bay and Men’s Bay, Rotoroa Island
The beaches of Rotoroa Island are a perfect spot for wild swimming, with calm waters and very few small waves. This small island, around 75 minutes away from Auckland by ferry, is a great place to get some rest and relaxation, as it has only small numbers of visitors arriving on its shoreline, and offers long, flat trails where you can while away the hours on a pleasant stroll, looking out for local wildlife. Both Ladies Bay and Men’s Bay have golden sands, which are often entirely empty of other people, and calm emerald waters. Take a swim in the calm waters and have a nap in the warm sun before heading back on the ferry to mainland.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.