With rugged sand islands to the east, a rural wilderness to the west and lush national parks to the north and south, Brisbane is blessed with an array of stunning camping options within easy reach of the city centre. Whether you prefer pitching a tent by the beach or deep in the Aussie bush, like to rough it away from the crowds or can’t live without a hot shower every day, there’s a weekend camping escape with your name on it.
If you’re planning to camp in Queensland’s national parks, check the website to keep up-to-date on the latest park conditions. And if you’re travelling during school holidays, it’s well worth booking ahead. Here are six gorgeous spots to get your camping holiday started.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Just a 75-minute ferry ride from Brisbane, Australia’s third-largest sand island offers the ultimate coastal camping adventure. There are five seaside campgrounds and five camping zones to choose from (remember to purchase a camping permit in advance), and plenty of activities to keep you busy, from snorkelling the Tangalooma Wrecks to surfing down sand dunes, and tackling the island’s hiking trails to whale watching. If you don’t fancy bringing your own tent, there’s also glamping at Castaways in the small township of Bulwer, just a 20-minute drive north from the ferry landing point.
Just south of Moreton Island, North Stradbroke Island, or “Straddie”, is a similarly popular island camping escape from Brisbane. There are half a dozen camping grounds to choose from across the island, with all camping and 4WD permits arranged through Minjerribah Camping (advance booking essential). If you’re hoping to catch a few waves, pitch your tent at Cylinder Beach campground on the island’s northeast coast, which lies just steps from the surf. It’s also handily close to the Stradbroke Island Beach Hotel for campers craving ice-cold bevvies.
Nestled amongst towering gum trees, rolling grassy hills and gurgling creeks, and an easy 90-minute drive southwest of Brisbane, Bigriggen Park is one of Queensland’s best kept camping secrets. A scenic hike from the campsite will bring you to a stunning swimming hole perfect for a dip (keep your eye out for the elusive platypus), while nearby Mt Barney National Park offers some excellent bushwalks. Simply pick your favourite site within the 60 acres (24ha) of camping ground, and relax into the Aussie bush.
Tucked up in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, roughly two hours northwest of Brisbane, Conondale National Park boasts three lush rainforest camping areas alongside crystal-clear Booloumba Creek. While there are no facilities here other than toilets and campfire pits, there’s plenty to do, from paddling in the creek to tackling the multitude of trails leading to attractions such as Booloumba Falls, the Strangler Cairn sculpture by internationally renowned artist Andy Goldsworthy, and the Mount Allan fire tower, from where you can enjoy incredible views over the forest. Keep in mind that the Booloumba Creek Road access includes creek crossings, with a high-clearance four-wheel-drive vehicle recommended.
Connected to North Brisbane via a bridge, Bribie Island makes for an easy island camping getaway when you don’t have the time, funds or patience for ferries. There are five camping areas to choose from across the island, but the wide, grassy Poverty Creek campsite on the island’s sheltered west coast is a crowd favourite. Only accessible by 4WD (unless you have your own boat), getting here is half the fun.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.