Beer in the Hunter Valley? Well sure! Just two hours from the city, and dubbed simply “the Hunter” by locals, this region is to Sydney what Napa is to California: a wide-open wine country. Beer connoisseurs should not be daunted, however – they’ll find lots to love here, too.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cheers to Pokolbin at The Matilda Bay Brewery
The Matilda Bay Brewery in Pokolbin is the oldest in the area and part of the larger Hunter Valley Resort, with a central location that makes it a great place to start or end a tour. With 12 beers to choose from, you’ll want to order a tasting paddle. The brewmaster’s notes are included with your selections, so you can keep track of what you enjoy in the likely event you want to purchase some to take with you. Live music and straightforward food keep guests lingering in this welcoming hangout, so there isn’t any need to rush. Don’t leave without trying the spicy-sweet Rusty Yak Ginger Beer.
Cold brews and long views at Ironbark Hill Brewhouse
Pub, Pub Grub, Beer
As renowned for their ciders as they are for their beers, the boutique Ironbark Hill Brewhouse also calls Pokolbin home. Stroll around and take in views of the stunning grounds that the brewhouse shares with Peter Drayton wines, or grab a sunny spot on the huge front patio while keeping an eye out for kookaburras and foxes, especially as dusk falls. There are typically 11 beers on tap here, from a deliciously light pilsner to a Rough As Nuts porter and everything in between. Order from a menu of pizza and burgers as you decide which of the suds is your favourite. Find something tasty? Bring a growler, or purchase one there to take away.
Tasting, touring and taking time out at Nulkaba
Just a quick 15-minute drive from the centre of the Hunter, Nulkaba offers thirsty travellers refreshments from the Hunter Beer Co. This little gem has several awards in its trophy case for specialities that include its Hunter Bock Dark Lager and lusty rich Chocolate Porter. The team aren’t afraid to take a crack at some extreme flavours here: seasonal offerings have included a Smoked Oyster Stout and a Piña Colada IPA. You can order some delicious bites from the upscale brassiere or opt for the casual takeaway to make yourself at home in the beer garden. Comprehensive guided tours are available and include several tastings.
Good beer hunting at Sydney Brewery
Holding pride of place in the Sydney Brewery is the Lovedale Lager. Three types of hops are used for this beer, resulting in an easy-drinking pleaser. These people take their beer seriously and use only local Hunter Valley water in the brewing process. This is the sister brewery to the original Sydney Brewery located closer to the city, thus beers are named after Sydney’s suburbs; Darlo Dark (Darlington), Paddo Pale Ale (Paddington) and the Surry Hills Pils. Lovedale isn’t far from the central Hunter and can be reached in about 15 minutes by car.
Holding out for hope at Hope Taphouse
Hope Brewhouse craft brewery was crowned 2016’s Champion Small Brewery, yet seems an unlikely candidate for such an honour. Originally it catered to mid-strength pours to concert crowds, as the Hope Estate on which it is located boasts the largest outdoor stage in the Southern Hemisphere. Many consider this to be one of Australia’s most scenic breweries at which to enjoy a cold sip and a sit down with friends. Demand grew at the brewhouse, and offerings became more sophisticated, with a large range now on rotation year-round, including crowd-pleasing lagers and IPAs, a gluten-free pilsner and a chilli and lime pale ale.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.