Byron Bay is a world where surf culture, spiritual retreats and boat-to-table dining combine in an environment rich with subtropical weather, diverse wildlife and unreal coastal views. Whether you’re looking for a spiritual, cultural or sporty escape, Culture Trip’s local insiders can help – here, they share their favourite things to do in Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cape Byron walking track
Discover Bryon Bay’s striking natural wonders as you trek along the nearly 4km (2mi) Cape Byron walking track, which leads you around the area’s rich and diverse topography, from rainforests to sea cliffs, as well as the cape’s famous lighthouse. From May to October, Cape Byron is also a prime whale- and dolphin-watching spot. You’ll find a small café at the lighthouse, perfect for a quick bite and drink before tackling the rest of the track. Don’t forget to pack your bathing suit for a refreshing dip at Wategos Beach. Recommended by local insider Sarah Reid
There’s yoga, and then there’s Creature Yoga. Its big, light-filled studio in the Arts & Industry Estate welcomes you to a world where you can take part in more than 20 classes held each week in everything from yin to vinyasa. It also hosts special workshops led by some of the most respected yoga instructors in the world, as well as teacher training for the serious yogis. Drop by for a single class, buy a pass or even try one of its five live-stream classes held weekly. All levels are welcome. Recommended by local insider Sarah Reid
Scuba diving at Julian Rocks
Want to spend your day swimming alongside sea turtles, grey nurse sharks and eagle rays? If so, 2.5km (1.5mi) outside Cape Byron you’ll find Julian Rocks Marine Reserve (traditionally referred to as Nguthungulli), one of Australia’s top dive sites. Julian Rocks comprises two ancient rock islets surrounded by peaceful, cerulean waters home to more than 1,000 marine species. There are six diving locations, providing options for all levels, including expert divers. Recommended by local insider Sarah Reid
Style Surfing Byron Bay
Are you ready to tackle Byron’s famous waves? If you need a little help from the masters first, visit Style Surfing, one of the top surf schools in Byron Bay. This local, family-owned school has been hanging ten since the ’70s. Expert surfers Gaz Morgan and V will provide the equipment and take you to some of the safest and best spots in Byron Bay to surf. All you have to do is get ready to have some fun. Recommended by local insider Amy Blyth
Crystal Castle and Shambhala Gardens
Did you know that Byron Bay is considered the spiritual and healing capital of Australia? If you want to go on a spiritual adventure, the Crystal Castle and Shambhala Gardens is an excellent place to do so. Wander the peaceful botanical gardens peppered with some of the world’s largest and most impressive crystals, including the smoky quartz geodes, and don’t miss the Buddha Walk and Labyrinth. The Crystal Castle also plays host to sound healing and meditation classes in the Enchanted Cave, as well as daily tarot card readings. Recommended by local insider Amy Blyth
Gaia Retreat and Spa
It would be nearly impossible not to find your Zen on 10ha (25 acres) of Byron Bay’s lush countryside. The Gaia Retreat and Spa, co-founded by Olivia Newton-John, is an award-winning wellness escape and one of the world’s top spas. It offers holistic pampering spa treatments along with yoga, tai chi classes and psychic readings. If you’re looking to disconnect and recharge in peace, check into one of its suites for a weekend pampering session, complete with breathtaking seaside views and organic, locally sourced meals. Recommended by local insider Amy Blyth
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.