Melbourne, in the south-eastern state of Victoria, is well known – and lauded – for being one of the most livable cities in the world. That accolade can be put down to its laneways – Victorian-era paths and alleys – as well as excellent coffee and diverse cultural vibrancy. It’s a romantic city in every sense of the word: with hotels, cafes and restaurants just made for idling in. Check out the lively and walkable downtown, linger in the parks, admire the historical buildings and mingle with the upbeat crowds in public places. Ready to lay your hat? Here are the best romantic hotels in Melbourne – bookable on Culture Trip.
The five-Star Windsor Hotel is a time-honoured check-in: it’s all about classic elegance and architecture typical of the Victorian age. There are eight types of rooms and suites – with warm, light-coloured palettes and tall windows with magnificent views of the city all around. There’s also a grand ballroom where lovebirds take afternoon tea – it has been served daily in the extravagant dining room since 1883 and highlights include eclairs and rum baba. Step out and sightseeing is all-around – head for nearby Parliament House, Fitzroy and Carlton Gardens and Chinatown.
City views from the iconic Grand Hyatt Melbourne are superb – it’s in the heart of things surrounded by high fashion outlets and fine dining. Rooms and suites induce amour – soothingly toned, with floor-to-ceiling windows and Italian marble bathrooms. For romantic dining, there’s Collins Kitchen – an intimate escape. Or canoodle at the Grand Club Lounge on the 31st floor, with panoramic skyline sweeps to photograph. Nearby, you can explore the art houses and shopping centres, as well as Asian and Italian restaurants.
In the heart of Melbourne’s CBD, Hotel Lindrum is a romantic cocoon – a red-brick, boutique-hotel beauty. Feel the love in the classically styled, spacious rooms – where rich wood furnishings, polished floors and heavy woven carpets set the mood. Couples in love dot the restaurant, Felt, eating breakfasts of bacon waffles and bacon butties. Since romance is in the air, catch a play or show in the nearby East End Theatre District in the evening – before returning to the hotel’s Back Bar for wine or whiskey on a comfy sofa by the fireplace.
On Collins Street in Melbourne’s CBD, the idyllic Westin Melbourne provides an upscale experience. Clean blue-and-white colours run through the rooms, which range from city-view kings to the top-floor Regent Suites – with wide-screen views of jumbled buildings all around. You’ll get something similar from the balconies of the luxury rooms. For a lovey-dovey dinner, get down to the Allegro Restaurant – take a table on the expansive terrace. Or tuck into high tea in the Lobby Lounge: here, they’re seasonal, so expect irresistible cinnamon scones around Christmas time, for example.
On Flinders Street, overlooking the Yarra River stands a historic masterpiece – dating from 1913. It’s an imposing affair, with its soaring facade and looming domes. Inside, it’s not quite so yesteryear – although the comfy rooms have quilted headboards and elegant mirrors, which boost the romance factor. Step out and the two of you can wander the laneways, going from cafes to trendy boutiques and funky bars. When you’re in the mood for food – and drink – back at the hotel, there’s the Travellers Bar (open Thursday to Saturday), or indulge in the Rendezvous’ famous High Tea service, served at the weekend.
What draws the regulars back time and again to this independent boutique hotel is the level of privacy and independence are its suites and apartments – all self-contained, with kitchenettes, dining tables and chairs and irons with boards. The look in each is suave yet upbeat: think kingfisher-blue cushions and bright-white walls. Stretch to the one-bedroom heritage loft if you can. On the corner where Collins meets Queens Street, the hotel stands out like a huge cake – with its grand Italianate architectural gestures. Instagram it generously as you head out to explore the surrounding CBD and Yarra River.
Here’s an elegant space in the heart of Melbourne – one glimpse of its art-deco facade and silvery main doors and you’ll know it has pizzazz. First stop, the lobby: all warm timbers, mirrors and dashes of brass. Next, your room: a distinctly retro space, with neutral furnishings against jazzy monochrome carpets – while the bathrooms are pure glamour with gleaming subway tiles. Feeling the love? Top up the ambience with a “Hollywood Glamour” cocktail – laced with cherry liqueur – at the fabulous-dahling Alexander Bar, with its grand marble counter. And for sustenance? Crispy pork-belly bites are among the delicious small plates served here.
It’s luxury to infinity at QT Melbourne – an original, unique landscape of industrial chic. The rooms are designed with lofty ceilings and windows that give great views of the city and its buzz. And lovers long-weekending need never leave the hotel – hit Pascale Bar & Grill for open plan dining or Rooftop at QT up on the top floor, for drinks and mingling against Melbourne’s skyline. And if you want to pop that question? We’d recommend the Secret Garden – a lush and leafy garden oasis behind the rooftop – and the Cake Shop, where Melbourne’s confectionery couture gets hearts all aflutter.
On a budget? Check out our guide to the best cheap hotels in Melbourne, bookable on Culture Trip. For a unique stay, check out our guide to beautiful hotels in Melbourne that guarantee an amazing holiday, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.