Melbourne is the second-largest metropolis in Australia and there are many, many attractions to discover here. If you have a pet you want to bring along, there are plenty of pet-friendly hotels to choose from. There are also places you can explore with your four-legged friend, including parks and beaches. Here are the best pet-friendly places to stay in Melbourne – where you and your hound will get the best hospitality Melbourne has to offer – bookable on Culture Trip.
Famously the first pet-friendly hotel in Melbourne, Best Western is located at Spencer Street in the heart of the CBD. The hotel is a perfect balance between affordability and luxury, and there’s a whole range of comfortable rooms to choose from. Get the leash on – staying here, you’re within walking distance of major attractions including Marvel Stadium and Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre. Animal-friendly services are on offer – ask about places to walk dogs, waste facilities and recommendations for pet-friendly parks, stores and even restaurants.
Right in the heart of the historic Carlton district, this is one of the most luxurious hotels in the city. Check in here for a genuine Melbourne neighbourhood feel and cosy rooms with warm, welcoming interiors. There’s a gym, a wine shop and a bar, as well as fine-dining options. You can come with all kinds of furry friends: dogs, sloths, raccoons, chipmunks, pandas and quokkas. There is also an exclusive in-room dining menu for pets, and you’ll get a bag of goodies. Grooming services are also provided.
Ovolo Laneways Hotel majors in luxury dog-friendly accommodation, with various amenities and treats for your pal. Count on details such as a doggy bed, food bowl, a bag with treats and a handy mat. There are also animal-magic staff on hand to help you with whatever you need. The spacious rooms and suites have a wonderfully comfortable ambience, and with its position in central Little Bourke Street, this place is a boon – you can easily access plenty of attractions in the city, taking your pet with you.
QT has a great spot in the city centre, on Russell Street, surrounded by shops and great places to eat. Staying here, you’re just a 10-minute walk from Flinders Street station and 15 minutes on foot from the National Gallery of Victoria. Generously dimensioned rooms and lofty ceilings are the design signature here, along with proximity to the city buzz, palpable through the windows. Ask about pet-friendly rooms with fetching features such as a cute minibar packed with treats. Dogs’ dinner menus are available, along with bespoke grooming services to spruce up your pup.
This group of serviced apartments is hidden in a labyrinth of laneways, restaurants and shopping precincts. There are 135 spacious apartments here: studios and one-, two- and three-bedroom spaces, each with separate living and dining areas and fully equipped kitchens. Somerset on Elizabeth also has a fully equipped gym, jet pool, sauna and outdoor courtyard. Pets are welcome to check in, and furry friends can take advantage of the PAW-cation package, so they’ll have everything they need for a big-city adventure.
Fancy good digs in the city centre? Check in at the Sebel Melbourne Docklands, a quiet and friendly spot in a pleasant setting, with excellent facilities and spacious rooms. You can either stay in the main hotel or serviced apartments. Facilities are impressive, including a sauna, library, barbecue garden and cinema room. Breakfast and lunch are available at the Capri Cafe and Lounge, and the Berth and Cargo restaurants. Pets are also welcome at the Sebel, and dogs can take walks as well as bathroom breaks at the NewQuay Promenade, just behind the building entrance.
This is a great base in the heart of the city. Step out and everything Melbourne has to offer is on your doorstep. Take a tour around Bourke Street Mall, Emporium Melbourne, Melbourne Cricket Ground and Marvel Stadium, among other attractions. The serviced apartments here have separate living and dining areas, plus equipped kitchenettes and modern amenities. The accommodation is pet-friendly, and the rooms – geared towards animals – include a bed, food and water bowls, a welcome pack and access to the rooftop courtyard.
This is a busy boutique apartment hotel in the middle of South Yarra, with rooms that are cleverly decorated and exquisitely appointed. Designated pet-friendly rooms include one- and two-bedroom formats. Based here, you’re in a great place – step out and explore key attractions such as the Royal Botanic Gardens and the Olympic Park Stadium, not to mention art galleries, shops and markets. The property is right next to South Yarra train station, mere metres away from the popular Toorak Road and Chapel Street.
On a budget? Check out our pick of cheap hotels in Melbourne, bookable on Culture Trip. For a unique stay in Melbourne, check out our guide to beautiful hotels in Melbourne that guarantee an amazing holiday, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.