You might come to Byron Bay to explore the town’s hippy scene, surf its endless waves or relax at one of the east coast’s top spa resorts. Whatever your aim, nature and wellness intertwine in this nonconformist coastal town, which has its fair share of lavish hotels. The best holiday accommodation in Byron Bay is bookable on Culture Trip.
Elements of Byron is a multi-award-winning resort on Belongil Beach, set among rainforest, wetlands and dunes. Villas made from natural materials dot the grounds and are luxuriously furnished with standalone tubs and fireplaces. There’s a 40m (130ft) lagoon pool, but if you’re looking for solace, head to the adults-only pool with its swim-up tequila bar or the Osprey Spa for a treatment. It’s a short ride on the world’s first solar-powered train to Byron Bay.
If you want to know where the celebs stay, head to Byron at Byron, a five-star resort on Tallow Beach. Built on 18ha (45 acres) of native forest, you can wander or cycle along wooden boardwalks to spot wallabies and exotic birds. When you want some peace, you can retreat to your apartment among the trees, complete with a private balcony. You’ll hardly want to leave the resort when you have access to a heated lap pool, tennis court, gym and opulent spa.
Byron Cove is a typical Australian beach house with a Mediterranean villa vibe. Its five European-style rooms share a pool, sauna and steam room, and there’s a serene garden. All rooms are set around the pool, with cream loungers and parasols, yet each has a private balcony and entrance. It takes just a minute to wander along a bush track over rolling dunes to Belongil Beach.
There’s a host of accommodation choices at this boutique property, set just five minutes from Byron’s centre and surf beaches. Options include studio-style villas and a two-bedroom apartment that all share a heated, saltwater pool. Expect techy touches such as iPod docks and flat-screen TVs with Netflix, as well as a complimentary continental breakfast. Go for the open-plan, four-bedroom beach house for more privacy; it has a private pool.
Hotels in Byron Bay are rarely so homely: 28 Degrees is a refurbished, four-bedroom 1940s cottage run by the couple next door. The eco-conscious rooms have plunge pools and open-air showers, recycled oak floors and bedside tables crafted from tree trunks. The guest house may be only a minute’s walk from Jonson Street, but the tropical gardens give an illusion of wilderness. Rooms are stocked with an array of organic breakfast supplies, as well as a guide to local restaurants put together by your hosts.
If you’re searching for group accommodation in Byron Bay, check out Azur, which has five studio villas arranged around a pool, a hot tub and gardens decorated with stone Buddha statues. Studios and one-bedroom apartments have living areas, balconies and kitchenettes, although you are also welcome to use the barbecue area. Two separate beach houses, just a short stroll from the heart of Byron Bay, offer an even more exclusive experience.
Just a short amble from Belongil Beach, the Beach Shack lives up to its name. Each of the six shacks has a unique character – some with a garden space and others that open onto the poolside deck. They feature restored timber furniture, white linens, cloud-like king-size beds and limited-edition artwork adorning its walls. All the shacks share a sandstone-edged, solar-heated pool, which sits on a wooden deck strewn with beanbags.
Cape Byron Retreat is an adults-only escape a quick drive from Byron Bay. The property is surrounded by hinterland with views of Mt Warning, which you can enjoy from bubbling outdoor spas. In the main house, there are ensuite rooms and an open-plan living area with a fireplace, or you can book one of the suites. The Balinese-style villa has a freestanding couple’s egg bath, while the Sanctuary Suite, complete with a private spa and hammocked balcony, is perfect for honeymooners.
Once a 1970s roadside motel, the Bower is now a boutique hotel in Byron Bay, inspired by the independent New York hotel scene. There are 14 drive-up suites in the complex, a five-minute drive outside the Bay. Each one features floor-to-ceiling windows that show off palmed gardens, Byron art, straw carpets, antique taps and natural throws. A separate cottage for 10 is perfect for larger groups, while the barn serves as a romantic nest, with a soaking tub set beneath a glass ceiling.
Stay at Soma for meditation and yoga sessions, led by guru Gary Gorrow in a crystal dome in the forest. The house is set on 9ha (22 acres) of hinterland just 10 minutes from Byron Bay and has airy communal spaces where you can share meals and mingle. Rooms are eco-havens of wood, and some have wrap-around windows. Soma also has a freshwater infinity pool and fire pit to gather around. Don’t miss the Indian-inspired evening meals – breakfast is a self-serve affair.
For some budget-friendly options, discover our guide to the best hostels in Byron Bay and book now on Culture Trip. Alternatively, cast the net even further by seeing the best places to stay in Byron Bay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.