With the Great Barrier Reef in its backyard and spots like Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park nearby, Cairns is an ideal place to settle in for a long holiday in Queensland. Add in a trip to Daintree National Park and it will be tough to spend time in your apartment in Cairns city centre. Try to, though – between the views and the value, you’ll get more than you bargained for when you spend a few nights at these Cairns apartments, all bookable on Culture Trip.
Cairns Aquarius doesn’t assume that a mere waterfront room is enough. Sure, the standard apartments are light and airy, embracing you with the bay breeze. The premium apartments up the ante with a bit of added flair thanks to modern furnishings – but it’s the huge kitchen and superbly long waterfront views from the balcony of the premium plus holiday apartments in Cairns that really succeed in checking off every box on your vacay wish list.
With the iconic Esplanade Lagoon right outside your door, it doesn’t matter if you choose a garden view or ocean view apartment at BreakFree Royal Harbor. What matters, though, is how you make the most of these one-bedroom holiday apartments in Cairns. You could spend hours on the balcony, doing nothing more than enjoying the view of the Esplanade – but we’d recommend walking the coastal strip as soon as you can.
Come for the traditional Queenslander heritage decor, stay for the local bites at Cairns Queenslander Hotel. Think spiced grilled barramundi, salt and pepper squid and housemade spring rolls – which can all be sent up to your door, giving you the opportunity to really appreciate your apartment. The monsoon shower is one of our favourite perks and definitely worth writing home about from the comfortable writing desk. Just as you sign warmest regards in your journal, a plate of supreme surf and turf at your door will make you add a PS to your note.
After a day spent exploring the Daintree Rainforest, you’ll be thankful that 181 the Esplanade provides a fully-furnished apartment. It’ll feel so nice kicking off your shoes and whipping up a quick meal in your kitchen – before sinking into a warm spa bath. If you can muscle up the energy to head downstairs, the pool adjoining the lagoon is an excellent place to soak up superb views. Although we’d argue, they look even better from your private balcony.
New to the Far North Queensland laid-back lifestyle? Tropical Towers Apartments will help you settle in. The resort-style pool and spa are where you’ll get an introduction to leisure before advancing to level two: barbecuing while hanging by the pool. If that sounds like a lot of hard work, feel free to take all the time you need to recoup on your private balcony. When you’re ready for a more challenging set of fun activities, the tour desk will gladly help you find the right place to kick back around Cairns.
City Terraces makes holidays in Cairns truly special with its unique offering of organised child care. Spend your days with the little ones, hopping around Muddy’s Playground and sniffing flowers at the Cairns Botanic Gardens. When the sun starts to fall, let the concierge know that it’s time to call in the troops. While Busy Bees watch the kids, head out for a show at the Cairns Performing Arts Centre, grab waterside cocktails at Rocco by Crystalbrook – or lock the door to your bedroom and savour some uninterrupted alone time.
As lovely as island life must be, you’ll be happy that Coral Towers is merely close to – not on – Fitzroy Island. You’d enjoy ocean views in both locations, but these holiday apartments have more than a shoreline outside their doors. Follow the Esplanade south and you’ll be at the Zoom and Wildlife Dome in no time. Closer still is the Cairns Aquarium, where you’ll be able to get a look at all of the marine life you couldn’t spot while diving off Fitzroy.
Act as lazy as a swaying palm tree beside the tropical pools at Southern Cross Atrium. These laid-back holiday apartments in Cairns entice you to relax with a heated plunge pool, sauna and outdoor gazebo where the grill is always smoking something tasty. Your deluxe room has nearly everything you need: a full kitchen, balcony or patio and private laundry facilities. The only thing you’re missing can be found downstairs at the souvenir shop – a postcard and stamps to make your mates back home wish they were here.
Piermonde Apartments were seemingly designed specifically for holidays in Cairns. Not only is the Great Barrier Reef accessible via charter cruises from the terminal, but your self-catering apartment is right off Wharf Street. The Reef Casino, Cairns Aquarium, Marlin Marina and other popular attractions are just minutes away, too. Prefer simpler pleasures in life? Just pick a spot by the pool to watch both sunrise and sunset each night.
Cheap accommodation in Cairns doesn’t mean having to miss out on luxury and Waters Edge won’t take your budget to the edge in their affordable accommodations. Oceanfront three-bedroom apartments aren’t hard to afford when you’re splitting the bill with six. Save a little extra by cooking your meals in the gourmet kitchen – the balcony views of the Trinity Inlet are as good as any fine dining restaurant. Want to splurge every last penny? Rent out the unit with the deck that lets you effortlessly swim out into the pool.
For some budget-friendly options, discover our guide to the best cheap hotels in Cairns and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.