Sydney’s CBD is packed with hundreds of places where office workers can get their daily caffeine fix. These 10 cafés stand out from the pack.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The hordes of commuters streaming out of Town Hall and Wynyard train stations early on a weekday morning can look like a scene out of The Walking Dead. But while the zombies storm soulless chain stores for the caffeine hit that brings them into the land of the living, coffee aficionados make a beeline to a string of quality cafés sprinkled around the CBD. Looking for a quality cup of coffee in the city centre? Then these are the 10 best cafés in Sydney’s CBD.
Single O CBD for a ‘next level toastie’ and on-tap kombucha
Single Origin Roasters — or Single O, as it quickly became known — began serving some of Sydney’s best coffee in Surry Hills way back in 2003, before making its move into the inner-city 12 years later. This York Street hole in the wall is positively petite, but there’s plenty on the menu — nab a spot at the five-metre standing bar to tuck into a salad, a NLT (that’s ‘next level toastie’, FYI), or a glass of on-tap kombucha, then grab a pack of Single O beans to take back to the office.
Dutch Smuggler for their famous Mi Goreng toasted sandwich
Found down the stairs of the ultra-modern EY Centre on George Street, Dutch Smuggler isn’t your average office lobby coffee shop. As well as delicious brews from Sovereign Coffee Roasters, this quirky café is home to the Mi Goreng toasted sandwich — loaded with ramen, egg, cheddar and ‘magic sauce’ — as well as stacks of other toasties like the reuben, the mushroom truffle and the Nutella-banana.
Mecca Coffee CBD for serious coffee aficionados
Cafe, Coffee, $
With its HQ and flagship café in industrial-chic Alexandria, Mecca enjoys a formidable reputation as one of the Harbour City’s elite coffee roasters — but it all began with this little King Street coffee shop back in 2005. A true pioneer of Sydney’s third-wave coffee scene, Mecca CBD serves some of the finest roasts you can find anywhere in the country, while budding baristas can also buy all the kit they need to get their specialty coffee fix at home.
Cross Eatery for chic Scandinavian design housed in a heritage-listed building
Cafe, Coffee, $
Filling the ground floor of the heritage-listed Red Cross House with chic Scandinavian design, this spacious Clarence Street café is one of the CBD’s most creative coffee joints. Examine the chalkboard menu for a meal that tickles your fancy — seasonal offerings include miso pumpkin with salad, Bannockburn chicken thigh with an avocado cream or a comprehensive all-day breakfast menu — and wash it down with a carefully selected specialty coffee.
Skittle Lane for a seriously sleek and stylish space
Taking its name from the nearby alleyway that local ne’er-do-wells used for bowling back in the day, Skittle Lane is now one of Sydney’s most sophisticated purveyors of caffeine. This sleek space has some serious style, right down to the handmade ceramics your brew will be served in, and boasts the quality of coffee to match thanks to their own Skittle Lane roast as well as guest appearances by Australia’s premier roasters.
Gumption by Coffee Alchemy for no frills coffee
CBD locations don’t get much swankier than the 19th-century Strand Arcade, and the quality of Gumption’s coffee suits the salubrious space. Sitting on the ground floor of the Strand, this pint-sized espresso bar brews beans by acclaimed Marrickville roaster and sister café Coffee Alchemy — and with no food on the menu whatsoever, there’s nothing to distract from the calibre of the coffee.
Regiment CBD for frothy flat whites made with Übermilk
Cafe, Coffee, $
You can’t miss this very contemporary coffee shop sandwiched between Wynyard Station and Martin Place, unless your eyesight is impervious to beams of golden light. Regiment CBD’s gold theme flows all the way from the two gleaming Synesso Hydra espresso machines to the shiny jugs receiving pre-steamed milk from Sydney’s only pair of high-tech Übermilk machines, while the gold-standard Five Senses roasts live up to the lavish surrounds.
Pablo & Rusty’s for one of Australia’s best-known coffee brands
Cafe, Australian, Vegetarian, $
Starting as a small roastery on Sydney’s leafy North Shore in 2003, Pablo & Rusty’s has blossomed into one of the country’s best-known coffee brands — and this spacious café in the heart of the CBD is the smiling face of the operation. Named after founder Saxon Wright’s coffee-obsessed brothers-in-law, this airy Castlereagh Street institution is always brimming with office workers stretching their coffee break a little longer for another single-origin espresso or a nibble of the Mochi pikelets with pumpkin pie filling or beer-and-mushroom ragout on toast.
The Grounds of the City for coffees and cocktails til late
Cafe, Coffee, $
It mightn’t have the same whimsical magic of the pavilions, animal farms and converted factories that make up the Instagram-famous Grounds of Alexandria, but the Grounds of the City still dishes up the same delicious brunch as its parent property. Sitting inside the glamorous Galeries shopping mall, this swanky all-day establishment plates up all your brekkie favourites before 11.30am and stays open for a cheeky knock-off cocktail after work.
Normcore Coffee for hardcore single origin black coffee
Cafe, Coffee, $
Normcore lives by a simple mantra: damn good coffee only. The brainchild of award-winning baristas Nate Lee and Chanho Hong, this Castlereagh Street roaster offers a ‘hardcore’ single-origin black coffee line-up as well as a more ‘normal’ blend perfect for a milky cuppa. The boutique café complements its roasts with brunch classics like avo on sourdough, seasonal granola and four gourmet toasties.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.