Spending an Australian beach getaway on the wild west coast, swimming or surfing in the Indian Ocean, is living the dream. If you don’t have a beach house in Perth, a beachfront hotel is the next best thing. Or perhaps it’s better than a Perth beach house, because it comes with the perks of hotel facilities, helpful staff and services such as housekeeping. Expect to share the shores with the young, the tanned, the hippies and the happy families at these waterfront bases in the city’s best coastal suburbs. Here are the best beach hotels in Perth, Australia, bookable with Culture Trip.
In a city that prides itself on its less developed coastline, Rendezvous Scarborough is the only beachside high-rise in Perth. Michael Jackson stayed here in 1996, and you can still see the grand piano that he played during his stay. Towering over this bustling beach, it’s a great choice for anyone who loves a lagoon-style pool with ocean views, tennis courts, a games room and the buzz of Scarborough’s bars and restaurants. Kids will enjoy the local skate park, climbing wall, basketball court and whale-shaped playground.
Perth beach houses don’t come any closer to the water than Seashells, which shows off sunsets over the ocean every evening. On site are two pools with sun loungers, an entertaining area and gas barbecues. Five apartment styles across three properties cater for singles, couples, families and corporate travellers, featuring fully equipped kitchens, laundry, a separate living room and balconies with stunning views. Almost next door is an Olympic-size swimming pool, seaside dining joints and outdoor recreation facilities for all ages.
One of the best rooftops in Western Australia crowns the National in the heart of Fremantle. Panoramic views extend over the port city to the harbour and out to Rottnest and Garden islands. More than a century old, the beautifully refurbished hotel has 12 luxury en-suite rooms with locally made furniture. The four-storey staircase leading to the accommodation has been converted into an art gallery featuring local artists. Downstairs is a restaurant with a wraparound verandah and a traditional Aussie pub as well as live music every day.
Near the East Street Jetty, Tradewinds Hotel is walking distance from East Fremantle’s waterfront bars, cafes, restaurants and markets, with Leighton and Port beaches a short drive away. These stylish rooms range from studios with king beds to two-bedroom suites with water views, freestanding baths in modern bathrooms and even your own drinks trolley. Sharpen your appetite for the fresh regional cuisine and cocktails in the courtyard, or hit the gym and pool. Events and conference rooms also attract wedding guests.
As the name suggests, this is a Fremantle favourite loved by the locals, who come here for the food, cocktails, whiskey and craft beers on tap in three indoor/outdoor bars. It’s in the trendy nook of South Freo, a short stroll to South Beach and its grassy area where people gather for sunset picnics; check out the buzzy cafes, family-run restaurants and locally owned shops. Built in 1897, this boutique hotel is loved for its artist-designed rooms with shared bathrooms. Some have French balconies, four-poster beds and fireplaces.
At the end of a sandy strip along the North Fremantle foreshore is the pet-friendly Pier 21. A path leads to a great riverside trail, which is especially handy for guests travelling with dogs. Active people will also appreciate the paddleboard hire, tennis court, table tennis, fitness centre, two pools and jacuzzi. The 47 suites and apartments have large balconies and lovely views over the Swan River or gardens. With kids? Don’t miss a game of giant Jenga, giant Connect Four or giant dominos.
Specialising in short, medium and long stays, Nautica has properties in Scarborough, Fremantle and Hillarys. Cheaper than comparable hotel rooms, these well-maintained apartments are furnished and fully equipped like comfortable homes. Hillarys, on the boat harbour, is known for its various bedroom options as well as a ground-floor apartment. Fremantle’s options include a wheelchair-friendly studio or deluxe two bedrooms. Scarborough’s three-bedroom, third-floor residence has a huge balcony with ocean views, two bathrooms and parking for two cars.
If you can’t rake together the funds for a beach house, Perth has decent basic accommodation such as this one-bedroom unit with a balcony. There’s a living room and dining area, laundry, free parking and wifi, a TV, DVD player and kitchen with a full-size fridge, oven, hob and microwave. The original bathroom includes a shower and complimentary toiletries. Scarborough Beach is a nine-minute walk, and the much quieter Trigg Beach, City Beach, Floreat Beach and Mettam’s Pool are less than six minutes’ drive away. Settle in and switch off.
For more options, discover our guide on the best hotels in Perth and book now on Culture Trip. Planning a family holiday to Perth? Check out our pick of the best family-friendly hotels in Perth, Australia, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.