Sydney’s gay scene is renowned around the world, and a colourful collection of LGBTQ venues adds a splash of rainbow across this huge, progressive and cosmopolitan city.
Whether you’re looking for a quiet beer garden on a Sunday afternoon or a pulsing dance floor at 3am, there is no shortage of fabulous LGBTQ watering holes located across Sydney. Grab a drink at these gay and lesbian bars and clubs in the Harbour City that guarantee a warm welcome for the queer community.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located just around the corner from the rainbow flag on Taylor Square, Stonewall is the beating heart of Sydney’s gay scene smack-bang in the middle of Oxford Street. Named after the New York City original, Stonewall offers three levels of bars and live entertainment, including popular drag shows on Friday and Saturday nights. The bar also does its bit for the community, supporting a number of LGBTQ charities and organisations over the past 23 years.
The pub where Mitzi Del Bra, Bernadette Bassenger and Felicia Jollygoodfellow set off on their journey into the outback at the start of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert is still one of Sydney’s most famous gay bars. The ground-floor restaurant Priscillas pays homage to the legendary Aussie film, the rooftop bar Imperial Up serves delicious cocktails, and the Basement is a safe space for expressive dance and live performance, all making the “Impy” an icon of Sydney’s bohemian Inner West.
Occupying a former bank on a well-positioned Oxford Street corner, the Colombian is a fixture of Sydney’s gay scene. Grab a stool in the airy street-level bar, and sip on a drink as you cast your eye over the colourful characters that stroll up and down the so-called Golden Mile – there’s always a good crowd for after-work drinks before things get wilder on Friday and Saturday nights.
Party animals pack out this Darlinghurst mega-club every weekend, open until 5am on Saturday and Sunday nights. Sitting just off Oxford Street, the cocktail bar, resident entertainers, deluxe lighting and sound system, and dual dance floors – upstairs for house and trance, downstairs for more poppy tunes – make Arq an institution of Sydney’s nightlife.
This attitude-free Oxford Street bar reminds you of a loose wedding reception – in a good way, of course. We’re talking daggy disco tunes, song requests, a well-populated dance floor and drinks flowing as steadily as the good vibes among the groups of friends who flock to Palms on Oxford for an unpretentious night out. Get there early on Friday and Saturday nights to avoid the queue.
This venue used to be one of the premier gay bars in the city, and, although it’s now a neighbourhood pub offering something for everyone, Sundays at the Beresford are still a staple of Sydney’s gay scene. Huge crowds flock from nearby Oxford Street to the Sunday sessions in the leafy, sun-dappled courtyard before the party heads to the Upstairs Beresford dance floor later in the evening.
The four distinct spaces inside the Oxford are as diverse as its clientele. There are the ground-floor bistro and terrace of the Oxford Bar, the booming subterranean Underground, and the sophisticated top-floor Polo Lounge – but the star of the show is found on the first floor. Ginger’s is a New York-style cocktail bar lined with intimate booths and mezzanine seating, providing a stage for cabaret and live music every weekend.
Sitting inside an old Art Deco building at the Hyde Park end of Oxford Street, Slide is one of Sydney’s most glamorous queer-friendly venues. Enjoy dinner and a cocktail as you watch one of the cabaret shows, live performances or themed events – the venue is home to circus degustation El’ Circo and has hosted a long list of well-known artists to accompany the refined food-and-drink menu since it opened in 2005.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.