This tiny Australian beach town, in the sunshine state of Queensland, is best known as the gateway to bucket-list archipelago, the Whitsunday Islands. However, laidback Airlie Beach conceals a few draws of its own. Punctuate days spent on palm-tree-lined beaches and sailing around lagoons with top-notch food and drink. From beachfront third-wave coffee shops to breezy bistros with marina views, these are some of Airlie Beach’s best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
20 Degrees South Bar & Restaurant
Hidden away from the hubbub of Airlie Beach’s Main Street, within the Whitsunday Sailing Club, this restaurant promises a triple threat of reasonable prices, excellent pub-style food and stellar views. Take a seat on the sizable balcony and drink in the Pioneer Bay vistas, a sundowner in hand, before devouring a bone-in ribeye steak with mushroom sauce, freshly cooked seafood, or a zingy Vietnamese-inspired salad.
The Garden Bar Bistro
This breezy and beautiful indoor-outdoor venue, perched right next to the marina, captures the laidback essence of the tropical Whitsunday Coast. Not only do the friendly mixologists at The Garden Bar Bistro know their stuff (they make a mean cocktail, with seasonal fruit taking centre stage in their creations), but its light, seafood-focused menu is the perfect fit for the balmy climes of Airlie Beach (think oysters by the dozen, ceviche and buckets of fresh prawns).
Dishing up some serious Bali vibes with its straw parasols, palm frond wallpaper and fruit-packed smoothie bowls served in eco-friendly coconut shells, this waterfront cafe is popular with the health-conscious, as well as those craving something light yet filling to eat in the thick of summer. It’s not just the preserve of veggies or vegans either: the cafe’s sashimi salmon and sesame chicken poke bowls win rave reviews too.
Part restaurant, part rum bar, this Airlie Beach multi-tasker is known for its seafood-laden menu and killer mojitos. While away an afternoon on the deck, grazing on the restaurant’s signature two-tier seafood tower and lapping up the cooling, salty sea breeze. Alternatively, polish off a three-course dinner inside, while gorging on the relaxed coastal design of its interior. Bring your credit card: it’s among the more expensive options in town.
Fat Frog Beach Cafe
A true local’s favourite, this pooch-friendly Cannonvale cafe is often packed with punters, here for the smooth yet strong Campos coffee, and generous servings of breakfast, brunch and lunch classics. Go decadent and order the pancakes loaded with banana, candied walnuts, maple syrup and ice cream, or dial up the health factor with the honey and yoghurt panna cotta, accompanied by granola and fresh berries. You can’t beat Fat Frog for views either: the cafe’s gas strut windows take full advantage of its beachside location.
Perched just on the edge of the town’s centre, but high enough up a neighbouring hill to command thoroughly spectacular views, Anchor Bar is the perfect spot for sunset and twilight drinks – often accompanied by a live music soundtrack. Gorge on dude food, from fried chicken to cheeseburgers and steak sandwiches, or try a little of everything the kitchen pumps out with the crowd-pleasing “can’t decide” platter.
Paradiso Rooftop Bar & Restaurant
In the mood for Mediterranean-inspired dishes? Paradiso is your failsafe. Occupying a plum spot on a pedestrianised nook, right on the cusp of the Airlie Beach Foreshore, this restaurant-cum-rooftop bar radiates European vibes, its tables spilling out onto the footpath. Kick off the evening with a plate of tapas or three (jamon croquettes, or marinated olives perhaps) before moving on to the seafood paella for two.
Cool Lala Modern Asian Cuisine
The respectably sized menu at this pan-Asian eatery caters to all tastes: from chilli fiends to coeliacs, vegans to veggies. Those with appetites piqued by a day well spent in the surf, all salty skinned and sun-licked, should opt for Cool Lala’s Feed Me banquet menu, and pick up one of the restaurant’s supersized bubble teas too. Don’t forget to save space for the small but perfectly formed Asian fusion dessert menu too.
This is an updated rewrite of an article originally by Hayley Simpson.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.