Homemade pies, gargantuan breakfast burritos and Insta-worthy vegan cakes — tuck into these 10 tasty brunches around Perth’s coolest suburb, Northbridge.
Sitting just north of the city centre, there’s no doubt that Northbridge is Perth’s premier food-and-drink precinct, and a long list of quality cafés is a vital part of the mix. Whether you’re trying to cure a hangover with a bacon-laden big brekky or wanting to continue your health kick with an avocado coated in chia seeds, these are the tastiest brunches you can sink your teeth into around Northbridge.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re thirsty for a cocktail to slurp on with brunch, then this Lake St café has got you sorted. A mural of the momma bear, papa bear and baby bear — better known as family ownership team Mark, Stephanie and Lilli Sayers — welcomes diners to Sayers Sister, where the food menu is constantly evolving with the seasons, but the breakfast cocktail specials are a permanent fixture.
Everything at this busy Newcastle St café is made from scratch — even the building itself, which was custom-built to accommodate one of Northbridge’s most popular brunch spots. The light brekky and lunch menus please the crowds, but Tuck Shop is famous for one thing: pies. They are a labour of love using hand-rolled pastry and slow-cooked meat that’s all put together on-site.
Tarts Cafe is home to some of Perth’s most stylish event spaces, opens for dinner on Friday and high tea on the weekend, sells a range of gifts and knick-knacks in its retail space, hosts gourmet degustations once a month, and even makes room for much-anticipated “Jazz and Shiraz” nights. The one thing that is consistent seven days a week is Tarts’ punchy brunch menu and the alluring assortment of sweets to choose from out of the pastry cabinet.
Sitting below the fashionable Paper Mountain Gallery, this artsy William St coffee shop has been a Northbridge institution since it opened back in 2009. A hunger-busting brunch menu is key to Little Willys’ longevity — the mammoth breakfast burritos are the house specialty, brimming with bacon, eggs, salsa and tomato chutney, or mushrooms and spinach for non-meat-eaters.
Whatever this cosy café lacks in size, it more than makes up for in flavour. Flora and Fauna’s compact kitchen produces an equally pint-sized menu of vegan and gluten-free delights — vibrantly pink beetroot bruschetta, the “magic mushroom” bagel and chocolate waffles topped with homemade raw salted caramel are a handful of the mouthwatering meat-free treats on offer.
Whether you’re looking for a big greasy breakfast to mop up a hangover or a calorie-conscious brunch to kickstart your weekend, the cunning Mr Fox dishes up something for everyone. Healthy types will love the “green bowl” loaded with smoked salmon, coriander salsa and a chia-coated avocado, while more decadent diners can feast on fried chicken waffles, a peanut butter and bacon bagel, or the “Crema Brûlée” coffee-dessert.
This late-night diner opens at 10am for brunch on Saturdays and Sundays, replacing the Moon’s usual burgers and nachos with an exciting brekky menu. If you’ve had a big one the night before, fill your stomach with the “recovery pizza” (bacon, eggs, tomato, green chilli and Napoli cheese), and if you’re feeling a little fancy, indulge in the sausage, bacon and bean stew topped with truffle oil.
This homely Lake St eatery boasts a long, tempting brunch menu. But if you’re not embarrassed to order cake for breakfast, then the array of sweet treats is impossible to resist — Little Bird’s eye-catching cakes are big on Instagram. The café also offers stacks of vegan, gluten-free and paleo food options, plus a large range of dairy-free smoothies and juices.
Superstar Waffles is hidden on an alleyway just off William St, but you’ll have no trouble finding the place — just follow the stream of waffle-craving diners or the whiff of crispy batter billowing out of the kitchen. And these aren’t your average waffles — drool over flavours like banoffee, apple pie and peanut butter mousse.
Sitting just across the road from Northbridge’s leafy Russell Square, this modern Australian kitchen plates up all the brunch classics — bacon-and-egg roll, eggs Benedict, and an enormous big breakfast cramming in eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, tomato, mushrooms and toasted ciabatta — at a value-for-money price. Opal Cafe also prides itself on its carefully selected range of premium coffee.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.